This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.

If you’ve been to a sporting event lately then you’ve probably seen our brand new mascot, Mr. Triton. Some say that he resembles the slightly creepy yet handsome Burger King Man. As many of you may know, and to those of you who don’t, I’ve always wanted to become a mascot myself, so I took this opportunity to get an inside look at being a mascot and see what it takes. You never know, maybe I’ll be the next Mr. Triton. Could you? Read below and find out. And check out Mr. Triton at the next EC sporting event! 

How did you begin your career at Eckerd College?
“A little shell, sand crab and fire ant came to me and told me Eckerd was ready.”

What is your favorite sport at Eckerd?
 “If we had javelin, and by javelin I mean throw a trident like a boss, that would be hands-down my favorite. But since we don’t have that, I’d have to say I love me some volleyball, basketball, baseball, softball, golf, tennis, rugby, soccer and sailing!”

What is your go-to move to pump up a crowd?
 “I typically rock the fist pump, but somehow that turns into some kind of gyrating, hip popping motion. Don’t ask me, the Triton Swag just takes over.”

What do you believe makes a great mascot?
 “I think a good mascot is someone who loves the crowd just as much as s/he loves the team and the game. The mascot needs to help bridge the gap between the fans and the players, who use that support to play harder and better. That makes a good mascot…now, a GREAT mascot has to have that $100 smile, a good set of abs and nice hair, which, let’s be honest, only a King can have.”

What do you enjoy doing when you are not pumping up a crowd?
“I like to have a drink at my pub, or taking long walks on South Beach.”

Any tips for those of us who would like to steal your…I mean be a mascot one day?
“Get used to not breathing and always having the fear of tripping/wiping out/beefing it in front of lots of people, more so than you already probably do. Also, get to know your surroundings, from the best place to stand to not be in anyone’s way, to where the families are, to where the visiting team/fans are. King Triton tries to make it around to see everyone during the game, but it’s all about strategy.”

I couldn’t help but notice that you have rather large feet, where do you get your shoes?
“You know what they say about Kings with big feet…they’re King-sized! har har. No, but to answer your question, I’ve manufactured my shoes using whale bones that I found in Frenchmen’s Creek.”

If you were stranded on an aquaglide with one other person, which Eckerd athlete would it be?
“Well, if we’re thinking strategically, I would probably want to have one of the Volleyball ladies with me, because they’re tall and skinny…and would make a good oar to row to safety…if that fails, at least we’ll have a volleyball we could name Wilson.”

If you had to go against our rival, the Tampa Spartan, how would you defeat him?
 “I would remind him that our Women’s volleyball team already defeated the Spartan spirit when they clobbered the Tampa (#1 nationally ranked) squad. If you go after the spirit of the mascot, he’s nothing but a half-naked Greek warrior guy who somehow made it from Sparta to Tampa. After I’ve damaged his self esteem, I would just end it with a Trident to the ribs, I’m sure he would understand that THIS. IS. ECKERRRRRDDDD!!!”

Do you have any pre-game rituals?
 “I usually run 10-11 miles, fasten weights to my legs and swim to the Skyway Bridge and back, bench a couple of Colgate sailing boats, and then have a simmer-down pint at my pub before heading over to MacArthur. I do all of this listening to Wiz Khalifa, KiD CuDi, Lupe Fiasco and anything that comes on to WECX 99.9 Eckerd Radio!”

Some girls have all the fun; Devon Elizabeth Williams happens to be one of them. A carb loving, liberal hailing from Lakeville, Massachusetts, Devon is a senior at Eckerd College in Saint Petersburg, Florida pursuing a  major in Political Science with a double minor in Journalism and International Relations. After spending January 2011 in an intensive Winter Term program at the United Nations in New York, Devon realized that taking over the world will be more difficult than anticipated, but nothing that a vivacious red head in stilettos can’t handle. In her free time Devon is a bartending beauty queen who has a soft spot for blueberry pie, Broadway and the scheming antics of Blair Waldorf. When she’s not paddle boarding at the waterfront or laying out on Eckerd’s private South Beach you can find Devon singing in the alto section of the concert choir. At the end of the day Devon is thankful for Newport, RI, her family, Sadie the black lab, Paul Mitchell, her girlfriends, Cheetah, and rhinestones.