This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.
Latest Trends: Spring Shoes 2014
By: Brianna Hyatt

Strappy sandals

This spring, strappy shoes are bigger than ever. The most popular style of strappy shoes this season is sandals with tie-up laces that form bows at the top of the sandal, or can be laced up the leg. These shoes are perfect for warm weather and can be paired with a loose skirt or skinny pants. These versatile shoes can be dressed up for important and formal events or dressed down for casual outings. Strappy sandals can come in a variety of forms. They can be as flat as gladiator shoes or as high as sky-high stilettos. Strappy stilettos are my personal favorite because they are fun and can be worn, dressed up or down, with many outfits.   

Wedge 80s heel

The eighties are making their comeback this season with large wedge heels. These shoes compliment the Boho chic style of wide legged pants; however, the wide legged pants are more commonly worn with flat strapped sandals. The 80’s wedges are quite comfortable and very easy to walk in. The trend with these shoes is to wear funky socks that make a lasting statement to the shoe and outfit. Like many shoes, unfortunately, it does take a certain foot to fit these retro heels. For slender feet like mine, I find it hard to walk in them because my feet easily slip out of the bottom of the shoes. If you have slender feet like me, it’s best to wear these eighties fab spring shoes with a gel insert or a shoe that has the toe area covered. 

Skate shoes

The third trend this spring is skate shoes. Supra’s and Vans are very popular this season, especially with their low top sneakers. Skate shoes are now also popular in name brands like Giuseppe Zanotti, Yves Saint Laurent, Golden Goose, and Givenchy. These sneakers are usually worn with harem pants or high-waist skirts that flare out. The leading style trend in these skate shoes is to not have laces. There are so many different styles and patterns with these shoes, making them easy to fit anyone’s unique style, wardrobe, and personality!

In men’s skate shoes, the trend of not having laces is also popular this season. Men tend to wear these shoes with skinny jeans that are rolled up at the bottom, exposing their ankles, or wear pants that come to the ankle. Another trend this season is to wear skate shoes with board shorts that hit just below the knees. 

Leopard print shoes

Leopard print shoes have become very popular this year. The print is available in virtually every style of shoe. In every trending shoe mentioned above, there is a leopard print version. Leopard print is fun, fierce, and my personal favorite print to wear. This season leopard print is easy to match with tops and bottoms, since it is also very popular in clothing as well. Wearing too much of this print can become tacky, so it is best to wear a leopard print top with matching leopard shoes or matching shorts and shoes. Leopard print pants with leopard print shoes may become too bold and come across as tacky. To keep it on the safe side, it’s generally a good idea to have a leopard print top and a solid color bottom with the same print shoes or a solid top and bottom color with leopard print shoes.