This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.

John Burdette

Year: Freshman

Hometown: Kansas City, Kansas

Why did you come to Eckerd College and how did you hear about it?

I heard about Eckerd at a Presbyterian Church retreat 2 summers ago at a College Fair and I came to Eckerd because I was looking for a small school with tons of opportunities to get involved, study abroad, and make lasting connections. The fact that the school is right on the water also helped sway my decision.

What activities are you involved in on campus?

On campus I am currently involved in EEL (Eckerd’s Emerging Leaders) and the Bylaws and Regulations Committee. In addition, I am a student ambassador, I work in the PEL department in Franklin Templeton,and I will be an RA for the 2015-2016 school year.

What is your favorite part about being a tour guide?

My favorite part about being a tour guide is just talking about Eckerd. We have such a unique (and fun) school to talk about that I love showing the families or student’s something or telling them something about this school and seeing them crack a smile or laugh the same way I did when I toured when all I was thinking “This school freaking rocks.” Honestly, I just love sharing my passion for Eckerd.

What was your favorite part about LSDP?

My favorite part about LSDP was the social interactions outside of the class. I got to meet so many cool people and I never would’ve imagined hanging out with any of them if LSDP hadn’t given us a reason. I also became great friends with the facilitators who helped teach the class.

Why did you apply to be an RA?

I applied to be an RA because I value the idea of community. I love the idea of being close to multiple people and having a school “family” to rely on. Being an RA not only allows me to help form that community for myself, but also for others. Sometimes people just need a group who they can fall back on even if they aren’t best friends with everyone and being an RA allows me to make that happen for people.

Since you will be an RA for the first time next year, do you have any possible dorm events in mind?

As a new RA, I am fairly new to the Dorm Event game but I can assure you mine will be the most unique. So far I have ” ‘The Morning After’ Donuts,”  an Eckerd Version of Secret Snowman for the holidays and a continual Mario kart tournament for the residents where the winner at the end of each quarter can claim my golden plunger as a trophy.

Do you have any fun plans for the summer?

This summer I plan on (hopefully) working with family friends in their film company while also opening my own small lawncare business with my two best friends. It will be called something relating to the idea of “Manscaping” and lastly my co-Ed Rec softball team will be entering our second season in the adult league and looking to come out on top.

What will you miss most about Eckerd over the summer?

I am definitely going to miss my roommate over the summer as well as the entire Alpha Gersh fam. I’ll miss being around the coolest people 24/7 and always being able to see the water. It’s pretty hard to find a beach in Kansas.

Fun fact about yourself!

A fun fact about me is I have needed my mom to bring me a new pair of pants to school 5 times over the span of educational experience from first grade to senior year of high school.