Humor: why making us laugh might get you further than spending hours getting ready

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.

As I watched the Oscars Sunday night, it only further confirmed my love for funny girls. I’m not talking about stand up comedians or anything scripted, but rather the spontaneous, unrehearsed, quick witted girls. Jennifer Lawrence embodies this unconventional sense of humor that makes her so incredibly desirable. I mean, what other actress can trip at the Oscars, accept an award, and call herself out for a mistake that would frazzle other actresses? 

She is perfect because she knows she is not and wants the world to know it is ok to be a little bit crazy. Yes, she is absolutely gorgeous, but so are millions of other girls.  She has this magnetic personality that we aren’t accustomed to seeing in other starlets. Just check out some of her interviews if you don’t believe me.

Thats enough of my Jennifer Lawrence rant…for now. So what can you do to exude some of this happy-go-lucky carefree attitude?  

1) Stop taking yourself so seriously.

No one takes you as seriously as you do. You are your number one critic, so just tell her to take a hike. You will overanalyze every action and comment you make, so take a break from that. In the grand scheme of things, one stupid thing you did or said won’t really make a difference (unless you are Jennifer Lawrence and it helps skyrocket your fame). As comedian George Carlin says, “Don’t sweat the petty things, but also, don’t pet the sweaty things.”

2) Don’t be afraid to be the punchline.

I think what we all fear the most is being the punchline of someone else’s joke.  It can hurt and momentarily, you might look like a fool. This is where the quick wit comes in. Be the butt of your own joke. This shows people that you aren’t uptight and can see the humor in a situation, even if your misfortune is the humorous part of the situation.

3) Don’t be afraid to speak what is actually on your mind.

In-the-moment humor is without a doubt the best kind. When someone has a quick comment or response to someone else, the feedback is usually very positive (if you aren’t too inappropriate).  The thing is, these comments usually never make it past this screen we have between our brain and our mouth. Yes, that screen saves us from a lot of situations when speaking what you are thinking is not the best option, but with a little practice you can begin to let some of the funny comments come through.

4) Be a little crazy and weird.

This reminds me of a quote I saw in a beach store the other day. It said, “I am not weird, I am limited edition.”  I think we spend a lot of time trying to seem normal when in reality we are all far from it.  It comes out when we are with our friends, but when we are in everyday situations we don’t show it. So, take a risk and drop the act, because people are drawn to other people who aren’t afraid to be a little weird, crazy, and themselves.

I will leave you with the wise words of Chad Michael Murray.  “To all the girls out there who think being funny is not sexy, you are wrong!”

Until next time,

Real Live College Guy

A Lilly loving, pearl wearing, history buff from Long Island, NY, Elizabeth Tomaselli is a Political Science and Journalism major minoring in Marine Science and Italian at Eckerd College. When she's not teaching aerobics and pilates or editing the school newspaper, you can find her hosting Gossip Girl premiere parties or tanning on the dock with her Beta girls. She is a self-professed pink lover with a striking ability to predict storylines in movies and TV shows. Aside from her adoration for Blair Waldorf and Jackie O, Liz enjoys playing tennis, dancing, and participating in family croquet tournaments at the little yellow house on Luther Place. Sometimes called the energizer bunny, she can function on little sleep, however, often requires coffee and Light & Fit yogurt to stay productive. With a big smile and curly brown hair, this senior plans to take over the world, one expensive shoe at a time.