This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.

With the NHL Hockey pre-season opening up today I’ve come to the realization that being a loyal sports fan at an out of state college can be difficult.  As a big hockey and football fan, going to a school without these sports is putting me in a slight level of withdrawal as watching these games with my older brother and dad at home were a sort of tradition.  Most sports don’t broadcast all their games at the national level so it is often difficult to watch your favorite sports team religiously like you would do at home.  Luckily technology and the internet are making it easier to keep up to date with your team and favorite sports. 

One of the most popular ways to keep updated on games and schedules is with Google, for the larger sports such as football and basketball you can simply search your team name and whoever they are playing for that game and the score and time left will show up.  Another way to keep updated is through Social Media.  Most sports teams (basically all sports teams) have a Twitter or Facebook and update the page throughout the game with scores.  One of the best and most convenient ways to keep updated on the game is to live-stream it, this can range from actually watching the game, to just listening to the live broadcast from a radio station.  However for this option you need to make sure you have a pretty strong internet connection, nothing ruins the game quite like buffering during the big play!  Some sports teams, such as the NHL’s Columbus Blue Jackets have developed apps for your phone that is updated throughout the game, and also conveniently has team-related news articles.

Hopefully these suggestions will help you out when it comes to watching your favorite team win this season!

Makenzie is a freshman at Eckerd College in St Petersburg, Fl, where she majors in Marine Science and Communications.  Makenzie is a pretty big sports fan and a die-hard Buckeye since she grew up in the Heart of It All (AKA Ohio).  Makenzie enjoys long walks on the campus beach, late night adventures searching for Stumpy (the aligator on campus) and driving her friends crazy with stupid puns and corny pickup lines (that have never worked).