Fashionista: Avonlea Gardner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.

Fashionista: Avonlea Gardner

By: Danielle Buchanan

Who is your fashion idol ?

My fashion idol is an obvious choice, but perhaps for a less obvious reason. While Gabrielle Chanel had a vast influence on the fashion world (and coined the ever important concept: LBD), I admire her most for having been a powerhouse as a woman and for acknowledging the value of fashion in an intelligent way. Her style was timeless and her message remains that fashion is more than trends and looking cute, but an opportunity to bring creativity, art, and beauty to everyday life. I want to do that with my style if I can.

Which Celebrity’s closet would you love to raid? 

I once saw Mariah Carey’s closet in a magazine and could never shake the image. HAVE YOU SEEN IT??? I don’t know whether I’m more impressed by the endless selection or color coordination but I DO know that I could never get bored of closet shopping in there. Plus, you can’t deny that she keeps fashion for the curvy lady both classy and sassy.

What is your must have accessory? 

Ok, I’m going to go ahead and count my hair as an accessory. The hair gods (goddesses?) blessed me with blonde and long locks (just call me Rapunzel) and when all else fails I know I can pop in some spunky braids or a boho bun and feel totally good to go. It’s an asset I can change every day or just let flow, but it definitely makes a statement no matter what else I wear.

What is your staple outfit?

Am I allowed to say sweats? Ok, ok, if I don’t have an early class my favorite combination is shorts to beat that Florida heat and a pretty blouse. It’s a versatile option so if I need to run to class or soak my feet in the gulf I can, but I can still feel confident meeting with my Prof after I do.

What is your least favorite style trend? 

UGH. Chinstrap beard. Just. No. As far as lady trends go, I’ll try anything once (even leggings as pants) ;)

What is your favorite new style trend? 

Funky pastel hair colors make me feel like the future is now. I love that lavender hair is becoming more conventional even for young professionals. To me, the acceptance of cool hair colors represents a societal shift to an overall more open-minded community and less judgment based on looks.

What’s your favorite trend of the past?

Sweetheart bangs and other pinup looks. I think pinup girls and their adorable hair and clothes still make for the hottest babes out there. I love that that style is making a comeback!

What do you think about Eckerd’s fashion style?

Eckerd’s style is awesome. It ranges from hippie to classic to androgynous to nude (depending on what time of night you’re running the gauntlet). The point is, all styles are accepted and Eckerd students are loving to their fellows no matter what we’re wearing.

What are your favorite stores? 

Thrift stores. Not to be too hipster-y, but they really are the best. What other store provides vintage fashion, brand names, and sensible basics all for less than a trip to Chipotle? Although that’s still a hard choice. Actually, now that I think of it, Chipotle is my favorite store. Mmm. Burritos.

What is your fashion pet peeve? 

Clothes that don’t fit. C’mon people! We all know nothing is more flattering than the right fit! When I see a lady in pants 2 sizes to small I just want to help her. I mean, muffin tops are delicious, just not that kind.

What fashion item can you not live without? 

Truly? A sapphire ring my parents gave me when I was 12.  Yes I think it’s very pretty, but more importantly, it’s a daily reminder that they’re always there for me. Fashion trends come and go, but family love is forever.

Why do you love fashion? 

Fashion tends to leave a real impression about a person. It can say, “I’m confident!” or “Don’t talk to me unless you have Chipotle,” or “I’m a successful business lady”. I think the fact that it can always change is what I like about fashion. I’m the first to admit that I’m still figuring myself out, and I love that my clothes can be a daily manifestation of my personal transformation.