Eckerd Artisan: Sarah Kollar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.

Major: biology and environmental studies
Minor: Spanish
Graduation year: 2013
Hometown: Grand Rapids, Michigan 

If you went to the craft fair last week, you would have had to go pretty early to get any of the adorable cards and pendants that Sarah Kollar was selling.  This was the first time she’d ever sold her charms and it was very incredibly successful. Somehow, this surprises Sarah, but having seen the pendants, and bought one myself, I am certainly not. They are so creative and beautiful. Plus, they are affordable, from 4 to 6 dollars for each, so you can interchange them on one chain for multiple necklaces.

Sarah started making these charms and pendants for herself about five years ago, using coral, rocks, and shells that she collected. She also uses beads that she buys, but prefers things that she finds because they are more unique and special.  For Sarah, creating jewelry is a relaxing break from the stress of double majoring in biology and environmental studies and minoring in Spanish. Although she bashfully admits that she keeps her favorite ones for herself, Sarah has created such a vast collection of charms that she decided to start selling them and sharing her gift with the Eckerd community. 

If you would like to purchase some of these lovely pendants you can contact Sarah through her Eckerd email or facebook. She is also willing to take anything you find, rocks, shells, shark teeth, and manipulate it with wire into a wearable work of art. 

Some girls have all the fun; Devon Elizabeth Williams happens to be one of them. A carb loving, liberal hailing from Lakeville, Massachusetts, Devon is a senior at Eckerd College in Saint Petersburg, Florida pursuing a  major in Political Science with a double minor in Journalism and International Relations. After spending January 2011 in an intensive Winter Term program at the United Nations in New York, Devon realized that taking over the world will be more difficult than anticipated, but nothing that a vivacious red head in stilettos can’t handle. In her free time Devon is a bartending beauty queen who has a soft spot for blueberry pie, Broadway and the scheming antics of Blair Waldorf. When she’s not paddle boarding at the waterfront or laying out on Eckerd’s private South Beach you can find Devon singing in the alto section of the concert choir. At the end of the day Devon is thankful for Newport, RI, her family, Sadie the black lab, Paul Mitchell, her girlfriends, Cheetah, and rhinestones.