EC Sand Volleyball’s Inaugural Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.

EC Sand Volleyball’s Inaugural Season

NCAA has recently made sand volleyball a Division II sport which Eckerd College has made a team for!  In 2009, sand volleyball was named an emerging sport for women by both Division I and Division II members. The approval came down at the 2015 NCAA Convention allowing sand volleyball to be a complete NCAA Championship beginning in the spring of 2016.

In sand volleyball players cannot be as specialized since they play in partners. Players must play every position and be able to move quickly in the sand, which is much harder than running on a wood floor. The Eckerd College Sand Volleyball team had its inaugural home opener this past Saturday, as the ladies obtained their first ever win against Webber International. In the first match of the double header, 3 teams won including the number 3 seed: Katie Arnette and Emily Carpenter, the number 4 seed: Jordan Trimble and Savanna Cary, and the number 5 seed: Mackenzie Redner and Morgan Jones. Eckerd won the first match 3 to 2.

In the second match of the double header, Eckerd lost to Webber International 4 to 1. The Eckerd’s sole victory in the second match came from Jordan Trimble and Savanna Cary. Come out and support the Tritons at their next home match, Monday April 6th. Matches start at 2 pm and 4 pm on the sand volleyball courts by Kappa Field.