alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.

Who said campus celebrity can only be the students at Eckerd?! Dr. Kat Robinson is one of Eckerd’s most caring, hardworking, and fun professors/mentors! She is very outgoing, friendly, and even a bit witty at times! She does a wonderful job of making sure her students are learning and having fun while doing it. Dr. Kat insists on getting to know each and every one of her students individually so she can help them not only academically, but also on a personal level. From day one she told her students that they were welcome to call her Dr. Kat instead of Dr. Robinson because it was more personal and friendly!

She started her undergraduate work at a small state school in Missouri, and Dr. Kat continued working on her degrees in New York and Florida.  She ultimately finished her Ph.D in Literature and Rhetoric at USF Tampa. She began working at Eckerd College in 2006 while working on her graduate degree and has been working at Eckerd full time since 2009. Dr. Kat teaches the “Narratives of Sailing” class during Autumn Term as well as “Human Experience” during the fall and spring semester. One of her major responsibilities at Eckerd is being the Fellowship and Scholarship advisor! As the Fellowship and Scholarship advisor she is in charge of identifying the students that demonstrate outstanding intellectual ability, leadership, commitment, and the potential to “make a difference.” She mentors these students by helping them with applications for possible scholarships, essays, interviews, etc. Essentially, she wants to make sure that they are given opportunities that will challenge them and prepare them for life beyond Eckerd! So if you have any questions regarding the fellowship and scholarships program you should definitely contact Dr. Kat! Her office is in the James and Molecular Science building.

Since Dr. Kat is one of the professors during Autumn Term, she is given the opportunity to be some of the freshmen’s first experience with a college professor! Autumn Term is such a unique program that many schools do not offer. It gives the freshmen the opportunity to get to know their classmates/professors and the in and outs of Eckerd without the upperclassmen on campus. Dr. Kat says that her favorite part about teaching a class during Autumn Term is having the opportunity to get the students excited about being at Eckerd! She loves to create a comfortable classroom where the students feel they can voice their opinions and be enthusiastic about the material they are learning! Consequently, she says the best part about Eckerd is the students! Dr. Kat feels that the students are honest, are engaged in the classroom, and have the ability to succeed! Dr. Kat is truly an incredible professor and will be an incredible mother for the first time in just a few more months! Congrats Dr. Kat!! :)