This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.

Christine Schafer

Year: Freshman

Age: 19

Hometown: Cape Coral, FL (originally from Upstate New York)

Major: International Studies and Spanish

Minor: Human Development

As many of us remember, freshman year was a frightening yet thrilling experience. This week’s Campus Celebrity, Christine Schafer can attest to this. Not so long ago, (last year!) Christine toured 8 different colleges but luckily enough for the Eckerd community, Eckerd was the only school that perfectly fit Christine. Christine says she was drawn to Eckerd because of our Study Abroad and Service Learning programs. After only a few months here at Eckerd, Christine says her favorite part of campus is how “forest-y” it is. She loves walking back from class on the diagonal pathway because it puts her in a good mood. When asked about her favorite aspect of the Eckerd community, Christine immediately responded with “the professors”. She loves that the small student-to-teacher ratio allows for personal relationships to develop between professors and students. Christine gave an example of the helpfulness of Eckerd’s professors; she said that she asked a professor a question one day after class and he stayed for twenty minutes to talk with her. Her professor even asked her about her other classes and how she was adjusting to college. 

Surprisingly, in her short amount of time here at Eckerd, Christine has managed to become very involved. She is a member of four clubs: InterVarsity, an on-campus bible study, the Current (campus newspaper), Eckerd’s Emerging Leaders, and Los Soneros del Mar, Eckerd’s newest Cuban Dance Club. Christine chose to become involved in Eckerd’s Emerging Leaders, a club that helps freshman become more involved on-campus by providing opportunities. She is excited to participate in a project with Eckerd’s Emerging Leaders that will benefit the community. Christine is also a news writer for the Current , which she joined due to her passion of writing and it gives her an opportunity to write about issues that affect many people. Christine’s love of dance and interest in Spanish inspired her to participate in Soneros del Mar.

Christine has many plans and goals for the rest of her time here at Eckerd but she is most excited to study abroad. She hopes to visit Barcelona, Spain and become fluent in Spanish before she graduates Eckerd. In addition, Christine is excited for the volunteer opportunities such as volunteering at PARC and working with children who have special needs.

Next time you see Christine on campus be sure to say hi!