This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.

Blue Skyline Gradient Nails

If you are feeling bored with your nail colors and want to do something different and new, here is a six step tutorial on how to do gradient nails. This super easy and quick tutorial can work for any nail polish and color combination.  So let’s get started!

Step 1: Gather Materials

You will need two colors of nail polish of your choice. I used Sally Hanson Gel 450 GET MOD, Revlon nail sun candy 490 SUN SHOWER, and Sally Hanson Insta-Dry 110 CLEARLY QUICK. You will also need about 1-2 makeup wedge sponges, 2-4 Q-tips, and nail polish remover.

Step 2: Apply Base Color

Paint all of your nails with the lighter color, which is white for me, as the base color for your gradient look. Before painting on your base color, you can also apply a base coat nail polish before the base color to create a smoother application and look to the base color. The base coat also helps the manicure last longer.

Step 3: Prepare the Gradient

Take one makeup sponge and paint both colors onto the sponge at one of the edges of the sponge. Be sure to put the lighter color closet to the end of the sponge first, and then apply the other color.

Step 4: Create the Gradient Look

Lightly dab the sponged about half way down your nail to create the gradient look. Repeat step 3 and continue to apply depending on how dark you would like your gradient to be. After you are satisfied with the gradient look you can move on to step five. For a more glam gradient look I applied the light blue glitter to the tips of the blue color on my nails.

Step 5: Apply Top Coat

Apply a clear top coat to seal in your nails, and make sure to lightly swipe the polish to the tips of the nails so the color doesn’t chip off the tips as quickly for longer lasting nails.

Steps 6: Clean Up

Pour a little nail polish remover into the cap of the nail polish or into a small jar. Take a Q-tip and dip it into the nail polish and begin to carefully remove the polish from around your nail area for a clean manicure.  And that’s it! Now you have a cute gradient look that’s sure to make people think that you went to an actual salon to get such beautiful nails!