The Big Man on Campus: Mike Geibel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.

The Big Guy on Campus: Mike Geibel.

By: Danielle Buchanan

• Major: International Relations and Global Affairs
  • From: Atlanta, GA
  • Relationship status: Single

You have probably heard the name Geibel thrown around on campus. He is definitely the big guy on campus who is very involved with a lot of things. You may not know his name but you have seen him around. People have been calling him Geibel since fourth grade, when he played football and it has just stuck since then.

He is the man behind the national concerts on campus, like Shwayze who came last year. He is the director of concerts for Palmetto Productions. Geibel has always been interested in music and has worked with a lot of bands and DJ’s back home. The music business has been a part of his life for a long time, so it has been a role that came naturally to him. He loves being able to bring artists to the campus that wouldn’t have been able to do so without his position in order to give them a bigger stage to perform on.

Geibel is also the RA of Epsilon Beecher, the Director of PR for the Rugby team, he also plays for the Rugby team, and he even does standup comedy a couple times a year on campus. He is really great at and super funny, so get excited for when Eckerd does Comedy Night because he will be doing his standup! He is a part of the National Society of Leadership and Success. He also MC’s other events on campus like Triton Tip Off, trivia night which is hosted every first Thursday of the month in the pub, and the dance showcase ect.

Among the many things he does on campus, he is also Sports editor and the copy and design editor for The Current, which is our school newspaper. The position of copy and design editor consists of checking the design and layout for each issue. He makes sure that it is correct and looks clean before the issue is sent to be printed. He started writing for his school newspaper at the school he previously attended. He joined The Current when he transferred to Eckerd, and to also be involved on campus. He also knew that The Current won a lot of awards and wanted to be a part of that team. He has always been good at writing and has had a passion for journalism. Geibel just recently won the Eckerd College writing excellence award from the writing proficiency test. He also joined to branch out from the rugby team and to meet more people.

The big question was what would you want to do after graduation? He definitely wants to do something related to what he does with Palmetto Productions or The Current. He would love to stay in the journalism realm, where he could potentially work for CNN in Atlanta, where he is from. He also likes sports a lot so maybe finding a job with CBS sports to incorporate his sports and journalism experience he has gained from Eckerd. He wants to be able to use the skills he has gained to do what he enjoys.

Asking what he will miss the most about Eckerd after graduation was a hard question for him to answer. He really likes Eckerd and wish he came here originally. Meeting a lot of awesome people who have become long life friends will be a challenge to say goodbye to. He will miss waking up and seeing the beach on campus every day and also all the things that we are able to do here at college event wise, like the Zombie 5k and other things that we do here that a lot of other schools don’t get to do.  

Fun Facts about Geibel: He is adorable, single, funny and awesome! He is definitely a big teddy bear and if you don’t know who Mike Geibel is…you should go and meet him before he graduates. You are definitely missing out on this weeks campus celebrity!