This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.

Araesia King

Year: Freshman

Hometown: I was born in New York, but my dad’s in the military so we moved around a lot. The last placed I lived before I came here was Columbia, South Carolina.

Major: Political Science and Environmental Studies

Why did you come to Eckerd?

I came to Eckerd for the Environmental Studies program.

What is your favorite location on campus and why?

I love Cobb Gallery. It’s a quiet place on campus where you can always get work done. The newsroom for The Current is also in that building, and I spend a lot of time in there, because I’m a co-editor for the Viewpoints section.

What activities are you involved in on campus?

I am an editor for The Current, an Ambassador, a part of EEL, and the president and founder of the Rotaract Club. I have a lot going on, but I love everything I do.

What is the Rotary Club club and what responsibilities come with being the head of the club?

The Rotaract Club works alongside the Rotary Club of St. Petersburg and is a service-learning based club. It is a great way to serve the community and also an awesome networking opportunity, because St. Pete Rotary members come from a variety of professions. Being the head of the club, I have to organize all of the meetings and help spearhead all of our activities.

What is your favorite part about being a tour guide?

I love that out of all the cool things on campus that parents are always amazed by the Skateboard Parking Zones. It just goes to show how it’s the little things in life that can bring you the most pleasure.

Since Explore Eckerd Day is coming up, do you have any advice for prospective students?

I would tell prospective students to get involved on campus. There is way too much to do here to just sit in your dorm or in a hammock on South Beach every day.

What project are you working on for EEL and how will it benefit the Eckerd Community?

I’m super pumped about the EEL project that I’m working on. I am heading a project in which we will be making satirical videos to promote better treatment of the yellow bikes. The bikes are such a huge part of campus, but people treat them like trash. Hopefully these videos will be help people to appreciate what a privilege it is to have these bikes. 

What did you do over spring break?

I stayed on campus and did a Service Learning trip here with Ronald Porter and Chris Higgins. It was an awesome trip. We did a lot of yoga and a lot of meaningful service in the community. The Eckerd Bubble really shields us from the problems that are affecting the area around us. It was eye-opening to see what’s happening in St. Pete. It really inspired me to create a positive change in the community.

What event are you most excited for during Springtopia and why?

I’m probably most excited for Kappa Carnival. I’ve heard soo much about it. It’s just such an awesome thing that the campus does, and I can’t wait to experience it. 

Fun Fact about yourself!

I love clocks. Old school, classy analog clocks.I just think how they work is fascinating. My favorite clock that I own has numbers that go counter-clockwise. It ticks backwards and has the quote “Life can only be understood backwards” on it. I think I just like the fact that clocks just keep ticking. There’s something kind of comforting about that kind of continuity.