This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

We travelled throughout this glorious city to give you the low down on the best vintage spots.  Durham hasn’t got a plentiful supply of shops, unlike our rival city Newcastle; but we have managed to find these gem’s that will make you open your purse strings and dive a little more into that student loan.

Scarlet Ribbons Vintage & Retro

This vintage haven is located on Neville Street, a side street just off North Road. Opposite the famous Stanton’s Fish Shop this hipsters paradise is filled with an eclectic mix of clothing from the 1950’ s through to 1990.’s

Favourite Item: A pair of Wild West Cowboy Boots.

Staff Rating: 10/10 Very friendly & polite

Overall Shop Rating: 9/10 We wanted to buy everything!

Ding Dong Vintage

Whilst walking past Starbucks we noticed a cascade of vintage items spilling on to the pavement. Inspecting further we came across yet another vintage gem. Ding Dong Vintage is located on Framwelgate, down a tiny side street near The Gates. As the previous description entails it is a chaotic shop filled to the brim with retro regalia.

Favourite Item: Vintage fur coat

Staff Rating: 6/10 The staff were quite rude.

Overall Shop: 7/10 We found that some items were out of our price range.

Vintage Stalls in Market Square

These make shift stalls regularly return to the heart of the town and are filled with a great selection of authentic vintage clothing. Cosy fur coats and knitted jumpers line the stalls, enticing the cold shoppers with comfort and warmth.

Favourite Item: Antique pearl necklace

Staff Rating: 8/10 Friendly

Overall Shop Rating: 7/10 We would rate this experience higher if we didn’t have to shop outside in the cold.

Oxfam Boutique

Located just off Elvet Bridge, this is the way to use a lecture as an excuse for shopping. Oxfam is littered with retro clothes and the money you spend goes straight to charity; what could be better? Karma will be coming you’re way as well as a fantastic outfit.

Favourite Item: Hipster patterned shirts

Staff Rating: 9/10

Overall Shop: 8/10 Even though we loved this shop, Scarlet Ribbons has stolen our hearts.

Another top tip for you vintage lovers out there is to venture to North Road, the charity shops are fantastically cheap and are full of hidden treasures.

That’s all folks.

Hey! I am a second year student at Durham University studying Sociology and Anthropology. I love writing and spending time with people and so cannot wait to start a HerCampus Chapter at Durham.