Ultimate List: 10 Paintings That Empower Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

1. Lady Lilith by Dante Gabriel Rossetti (1873)

In myth, Lilith was a powerful, threatening and sexual woman, the first wife of Adam before the subservient Eve, who resists the domination of men. She has therefore been considered a symbol of the feminist movement. In the painting she appears to relish in her own beauty, luxuriate in her free-flowing hair and lacks the traditional corset, suggesting a break from the restrictions of Victorian femininity. So if anyone ever calls you vain, just point them to Lilith. If it’s good enough for her, it’s good enough for me.

2. Judith Beheading Holofernes by Caravaggio (1599)

Bit of a gruesome one here but bear with me. The biblical tale of Judith slaying Holofernes was a popular subject for many artists around the time of Caravaggio and beyond, but considering the drama of the piece it is hardly surprising this was the case. A young, innocent looking girl slaying a lecherous army commander, thus saving her city he had come to conquer, whilst her maid looks on in grim encouragement – gotta love a bit of biblical melodrama.

3. The Birth of Venus by Sandro Botticelli (1486)

Is there anything more empowering than standing naked in a sea shell? I’m not sure there is.

4. The Ermine Portrait of Elizabeth I of England by William Segar (1585)

Whilst she may look slightly like a head plopped on top of a doily, there is no denying that this portrait of Elizabeth I radiates power. Be it her piercing stare or huge, elaborate dress, or even the slight hint of a bit of Elizabethan sass with the hand on the hip, this painting certainly holds the eye. For me, this painting recalls the iconic portraits of Henry VIII, looking grandiose and physically imposing in his royal garb, therefore for a woman to be portrayed in the same commanding pose is particularly striking.

5. Afghan Girl by Steve McCurry (1984)

Okay, so it’s a photograph not a painting but it just had to be included. McCurry’s photo is one of the most instantly recognisable photographs ever taken, having featured on the most famous issue of National Geographic magazine. Her direct, unflinching gaze appears to be almost accusing the onlooker of something which, although perhaps causing it to be an uncomfortable image to view, is crucial to its lasting notoriety. It is perhaps the most directly empowering piece on this list as the Afghan Girls Fund set up by National Geographic in recognition of her works towards the education of Afghan girls and young women.

6. Joan of Arc by John Everett Millais (1865)

The kneeling figure of Joan, wearing a skirt and half suit of armour, marries the traditionally feminine with her brave resolution. Her soft and innocent upturned face is contrasted against the gleam of the armour and the sword she clutches, with the dark background focusing all attention on her. This once again creates a striking image of intense belief and sense of duty, something which generates a feeling of power regardless of gender.

7. The Broken Column by Frida Kahlo (1944)

In this painting, Kahlo’s body is fissured and cracked like the turbulent landscape behind her, a crumbling column replaces her spine and is encased in a metal corset which holds her body together. This imagery highlights the relentless and serious physical ailments Kahlo endured throughout her life but her face is unflinching despite the tears that flow down it, showcasing a formidable mental strength. In spite of her fragmented body, her sensuality is not disfigured as she stands proud and powerful still. A truly inspiring painting.

8. Vacuuming Pop Art by Martha Rosler (1967-72)

Now I know a painting which depicts a woman doing the hoovering might not immediately strike you as empowering, but hear me out. Rosler was one of many female pop-artists who still remain virtually unknown, glossed over in favour of their male counterparts: the like of Andy Warhol and Roy Lichtenstein. Rosler took traditional, sexist roles ascribed to women at the time and satirised them in her art, making both her pieces and herself interesting icons of female empowerment.

9. Pallas Athene by Gustav Klimt (1898)

Another woman in armour here, this time it is the Greek goddess Athena. The subject of Athena is in itself somewhat empowering, as she was one of the most powerful and widely worshipped Greek gods, claiming patronage over a wide range of things such as wisdom, courage, justice and war strategy. However, Klimt’s use of gold and depiction of her in a powerful stance highlights the painting’s significance as symbolic of the fight between pioneering artists and the art of the establishment. Pretty cool huh?

10. Odalisque with Arms Raised by Henri Matisse (1923)

Need there be much more said about this painting? A woman unapologetically displaying her underarm hair whilst also looking beautifully feminine, showing that femininity is something which cannot be dictated by today’s societal beauty standards.

Third year English student at Durham University.
I am currently in my final year of studying English Literature at Durham University, England. I am hoping to become a journalist in the future, but in the mean time, I enjoy cheerleading, fashion and travelling, and of course, being the editor of Durham's Her Campus!