Top Ten Most Romantic Foods and How To Eat Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

Wanting to impress your other half this Valentine’s Day with your culinary prowess and sophisticated eating habits? Her Campus Durham’s Eloise has just the thing for you…

1)      Spaghetti and Meatballs. Anyone who has watched Disney’s Lady and the Tramp has probably fantasised about sharing a plate of meatballs and spaghetti over a candlelit table. Maybe not with an actual tramp in an alleyway, but the romantic sentiment is still there. Make sure you get plenty of sauce round your chops for an extra sloppy kiss when the spaghetti ends meet.

2)      Chocolate fondue. If you’re a greedy pig like me, the trick is to make sure you get most of the good stuff (like the marshmallows and strawberries) dipped in the chocolate before your date realises the majority of it is gone (all whilst still appearing lady-like and demure).

3)      Cheese fondue. Similar to chocolate fondue, just instead prep some potatoes, meat, crusty bread or vegetables to dip. Trust me, nothing is as heavenly as warm, thick gruyere or cheddar cheese melted down with cream, garlic and white wine. If you’re really feeling the fondue this Valentine’s day, why not go all out with a cheese fondue for mains and a chocolate fondue for after?

4)      Sushi. Make some sushi and surprise your date by placing it all over your naked body for them to eat off later, a la Sex and the City’s Samantha Jones.

5)      Oysters. If your date is prepared to shell out this Valentine’s day, why not take the plunge and gulp down together a few of the world’s most famous aphrodisiac? After all, nothing says romance more than sliding some deliciously wet, slimy, cold molluscs down your throat, right?

6)      Warm apple pie- one for all the lonely guys out there (see American Pie).

7)      Pizza. Let’s be honest, any homemade Italian or French dish will scream sophisticated romance, but for a fun date why not try making your own pizza and get creative with toppings? As well as being great fun, you and your date can be extremely cringey and feed each other slices of pizza from across the table whilst gazing romantically into each other’s eyes. As Klute often reminds us; ‘when the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that’s amore.’

8)      Can’t be bothered to make your own pizza? Take your date for a romantic post-Klute Urban Oven 2 for 1 Tuesdays- a night to (probably not) remember.

9)      Picnics in the park. Wine and dine your date properly with a hamper full of delightful treats such as grapes, cupcakes, mini sausage rolls, mini pork pies, mini sandwiches, mini sausages and a non- mini bottle of wine- all while enjoying Durham’s famous picturesque views.

10)  Is your boyfriend well and truly whipped this Valentine’s Day? Only one way to find out. Invest in a delicious can of squirty cream and see where the night takes you. Baby wipes recommended…

I am currently in my final year of studying English Literature at Durham University, England. I am hoping to become a journalist in the future, but in the mean time, I enjoy cheerleading, fashion and travelling, and of course, being the editor of Durham's Her Campus!