jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Things I Would Tell My Future Daughter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

Mums are often our best friends, our first port of call whenever there’s a problem, our piggy bank when we really need that new dress, the shoulder that is always there to cry on. But if it wasn’t for our Mums’ words of wisdom, we wouldn’t be the women we are today. So here are a few things we want to pass on to our daughters. 

Don’t ever devalue yourself because somebody else is unable to see your worth

Dress however you want to, don’t ever feel you have to ‘conform’ to what your friends say, or to the image society projects. You are unique.

Having your heart broken is an awful thing that you’ll go through. But I promise it will get better and one day you’ll wake up and realise it doesn’t hurt so much anymore, you don’t miss them anymore and everything is going to be ok.

Don’t rely on somebody else to give you confidence. I will always believe in you, but most importantly, you need to believe in yourself.

Love a girl, love a man, love anybody, I don’t care.

You are going to face failure at some point, but don’t let it ruin you. Take it on the chin and learn from it, let it help you grow as a person.

Follow your dreams. No matter what anyone else says – the world is your oyster.

You only need a few true friends in your life. Everyone else are hangers on.

Please don’t ever look in the mirror and think you’re ugly or fat. You’re beautiful.

Don’t ever go it alone. Even when it might feel that the whole world has turned against you or you don’t have anyone you could call a ‘friend’, there will always be someone.

We all make mistakes. Don’t kick yourself over things you can’t change.

Explore! Travel, fall in love, meet new people, go to parties, get drunk, try out new activities. Just stay safe whilst you’re at it!

Don’t give your heart to anyone who wouldn’t travel to the moon and back for you. You deserve the best.

Stand up for yourself and stand up for others.

Be what makes you happy. Do what makes you happy.

People are going to come into your life, but they’re also going to leave.  They teach us a lesson, or  bring us happiness when we most need it and when they’ve fulfilled their purpose they will go. But that’s life.

Everything happens for a reason.

I love you.

I am currently in my final year of studying English Literature at Durham University, England. I am hoping to become a journalist in the future, but in the mean time, I enjoy cheerleading, fashion and travelling, and of course, being the editor of Durham's Her Campus!