Self-love: why the only person you should buy chocolate for on Valentine’s Day is YOU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

Contrary to what you may be thinking, this article is not just the cynical woes of a single af 20-year-old cat lady, nor just a good old moan about the fact that Valentine’s Day is a bullshI*t money-spinning holiday (promise I’m not bitter).

Rather, it’s an ode to the importance of taking care of Number One, not just on the 14th February, but every blinking minute of every flipping day. After all, how can you expect to be able to love anyone else if you don’t love yourself? Feel free to vomit in your mouth a lil’ bit at any time, by the way.

If you’re worried about how awfully selfish putting yourself first all the time sounds, fear not- this does not mean you’re betraying your prosecco socialist ways (student budget struggs) and forgetting about everyone else. Rather, you’ll be so much better equipped to be a good friend, daughter, girlfriend, cat owner etc., if you just slow down, relax, and think about what makes you happy. You’ll be much more pleasant to be around if you’re taking care of yourself, because you won’t be depending on other people to create your happiness – although they’ll undoubtedly be a part of it. It’s ok to need other people, but if you have systems in place for managing stress, you can ensure that need doesn’t become dependency. I’m sure I don’t need to tell you what taking care of yourself means: eating healthily, exercising, drinking water… though a crucial part of this, which is often forgotten, is simply being kind to ourselves.

Studying in a place like Durham, it can be very easy to get wrapped up in the ridiculous work ethic of so many people here, but try not to punish yourself if you don’t seem to live up to other people’s standards. At the risk of sounding like a Dalai Lama wannabe (though I definitely am just that) remember to forgive yourself just as much as others. So, mushy-ness aside, if you’re spending this Valentine’s Day alone, out of choice, or because *sobs* nobody loves you, detach yourself from the colour red and the love hearts, make yourself something nice for tea, and feel completely justified in doing eff all for a few hours.