An Open Letter to my Housemates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

So we decided to live together in a house for six before we had even left for the first Christmas break. We had known each other for a mere two months and had decided to do this. We were all really positive.

Throughout the first year, subsequent to signing for this house, I went through a period where I doubted the decision. I felt that I had made a mistake and had decided to live with people I didn’t even know. I knew you were all international – that is what drew us to each other in the first place – and that we had some mutual friends here and there, but that was realistically the extent of my knowledge.

At one point in the year, nearing the end, I had become so antisocial and we had seen so little of each other that I was positive this had been a mistake. The hunt for a new housemate to take my place and a studio apartment close to the campus began. Thankfully, I changed my mind. Mostly because it became very hard to find a nice place to live but also because I figured it wouldn’t be that bad.

I’m glad I stayed. We have lived together for just two and a half months and you are all my family. We go out together, we eat dinner together, we share all of our food and all of our secrets. I could not have asked for a better situation and it isn’t because our house is huge and has an AGA oven but it is because I live with my closest friends who refuse to let me walk home alone when it’s dark.

I just want to thank you. Living with me can’t be easy but living with you guys sure is. I have no regrets and I can’t explain how pleased I am that we are repeating this for our last year at Durham.

Durham Law School Finalist
I am currently in my final year of studying English Literature at Durham University, England. I am hoping to become a journalist in the future, but in the mean time, I enjoy cheerleading, fashion and travelling, and of course, being the editor of Durham's Her Campus!