My Favourite Independent Places in Durham

Drinks - The Boat Club Durham

This place has got it all. All of the classic cocktails, beers and gins, as well as a great vibe, and stunning views. If it’s a beautiful day, being sat on the balcony overlooking the river, makes for the perfect afternoon/evening.

Coffee/Hot Chocolate - Leonards Durham

This lovely little place is tucked away behind Durham Market Hall, and is a great place for coffee and hot chocolate! They offer all of your classic coffees - as well as a wide range of hot chocolates (salted caramel, cookies and cream, and orange - just to name a few!). It’s a classic local business, with a homely vibe and friendly staff.

Cake – Vennels

I truly believe that the chocolate cake served in Vennels is undoubtedly the best in Durham. It’s a bold statement, and I recognise that, but honestly - if you consider yourself a cake connoisseur of any form - get yourself down there! It’s simply delicious (and the banoffee pie is pretty beaut too).

Brunch - Flat White

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, this place is a true Durham gem. Such lovely staff, a really great vibe, and the most incredible food! I’ve got such a sweet tooth (I’d be surprised if you hadn’t guessed that by this point) so I’m afraid I’ve only sampled the pancakes, but I continue to be impressed!

Lunch - Claypath Deli

I’m incredibly lucky to live literally next door to this lovely little place. With a wide range of vegetarian and vegan options, it’s a great place to have lunch with all of your friends. Staff are bubbly and friendly - and the whole place smells of freshly baked bread - so lush. Would highly recommend. Best place for a sandwich in Durham.

Afternoon Tea - Tealicious

Absolutely unparalleled - if you want an afternoon tea in Durham, this is the place to go. Again, (something that is synonymous with independents) - the staff are lovely and so keen to help. They even offer a vegan version of their famous afternoon tea, which I think is fantastic. Such a special treat, perfect for celebrating birthdays or graduation.

Dinner – Fat Hippo

This was a tricky one I must admit, but every time my brother comes to visit - this is pretty much always our first stop! Great prices and great food – what more could you ask for? The Fat Hippo food van that attended Butler Day was also fantastic - service was great and both the American and Little Hippo burger were both so good! (I halved and halved with a friend, I didn’t have two I promise…)

I know I haven’t even touched the surface of all of the many independent businesses in Durham, and I’m by no means saying the ones that I’ve discussed above are better than any others - they are just ones I’ve personally visited and loved! What are your favourite independent businesses? Let us know! Xo

I run a little insta celebrating all these wonderful businesses so if you’ve enjoyed this article please give it a follow! @independentdurham

HCXO