emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Mother’s Day Lunch at Lumley Castle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

Once upon a time, in the faraway kingdom of Chester-le-Street, my parents got married at Lumley Castle and so I thought, what better way to celebrate Mother’s Day this year than to take the family back to Lumley for a slap-up, four-course Sunday lunch? We were seated in the Garter Suite, incidentally where my parents held their wedding breakfast and reception! If the beautiful surroundings and attentive waiting staff dressed in period costume weren’t enough, the food was to die for. To start I had crayfish salad with quail’s egg and kita (we had to check with the Head Chef what this was as even Google didn’t seem to know – turns out its fish eggs!). Then on to the main, it was the choice between a lamb or beef roast – I opted for the beef. Did I mention the GIANT Yorkshire puddings? After sticky toffee pudding, a cheese board and tea and coffee we were all well and truly ready for an afternoon nap. It was a really wonderful day made better by the fact that each mum at the event received a beautiful plant from the staff at Lumley Castle. Would definitely recommend to anyone looking to put a smile on their mum’s face next Mother’s Day. 

I am currently in my final year of studying English Literature at Durham University, England. I am hoping to become a journalist in the future, but in the mean time, I enjoy cheerleading, fashion and travelling, and of course, being the editor of Durham's Her Campus!