The Most Inspiring Thing I Saw This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

The most inspiring thing I saw this summer, out of all the amazing things that I encountered, would have to be the sunrise of Tuesday 20th June.

My boyfriend and I had been planning a road trip around Scotland for months and, after breaking up for the summer holidays and having a few days at home to relax, we finally set off. To save money and make the most of the scenery, we chose to wild camp each night, deciding upon Galloway Forest Park as our first destination.

Just minutes after parking the car, we found ourselves face to face with an incredibly friendly red deer, the first that I had ever seen, which made an amazing start to the trip. We then packed our bags and walked uphill through the Park in search of a place to camp, completely unaware that there was no grassy ground anywhere except in the Deer Range (which I didn’t fancy) and so we were forced to settle upon bumpy, uneven, heather-infested terrain. Furthermore, a tempest was brewing on top of the hill, so it took all of our energy to stop the tent from blowing away before it was firmly pegged down. As to be expected, we didn’t sleep well.

However, morning came and I regained faith in life. No photography can do the sunrise justice, but it was honestly one of the most stunning sights that I have ever set eyes upon in my whole lifetime.

Looking down upon the whole of Galloway Forest Park spread out around us like a blanket was an experience that I’ll never forget. It felt like we were the only two humans alive in the whole world, and I realised just how soothing, inspiring, and invigorating nature can be. The morning sunrise above the calming scenery was the perfect reminder that there is far more to life than university and work, and I came away feeling that as long as the sun continues to shine, life will always be good.