A Lazy Girl’s Guide to Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

We’ve all been there: invited to a house party the night before, forgotten a ghoulish-themed social or decided to embark on a spur of the moment trip to a club night when Halloween rolls around. And indeed, we have all been burdened with the horrible task of finding some sort of costume buried deep in our wardrobes. With a degree to juggle and societies and general life getting in the way, sometimes we just don’t have the time or energy to go out and buy a killer costume. The struggle is real; trust me, I know.

This year, however, fear not, for I’ve got you covered with a few easy ways to look like you’ve made an effort with your costume and even fool people into thinking that forethought was involved. I’ve steered clear of the classics like wearing glasses to be a geek or the golden ‘I’m a mouse… duh’ look and stuck to my favourites for all types of lazy gals.

1. For when you want to look chic but also get into the spirit: Sandy from Grease

As a lover of black clothing, this seems like the easiest and most obvious choice for a lazy gal! Don some black jeans, a leather jacket and go mad with a curling iron and some hairspray and you’re pretty much set. If you have some hoop earrings or red lipstick, then throw those on too. If you are feeling super fancy, why not make your own ‘T-Birds’ sign for the back of your jacket (or just print one off in true lazy girl style)?

2. For when you want to put in minimal effort but make a statement with your sense of humour: A bunch of grapes

Ok so this may require one purchase, unless you already have a packet of green or purple balloons lying around. Basically, blow up your balloons and sticky tape them to a t-shirt in grape formation. This is a personal favourite because it is attention grabbing and always elicits a laugh. My advice would be to save this one for a more relaxed Halloween event rather than one that involves dancing or confined spaces (read: NOT Klute appropriate). 

3. For when you want to be funny without a huge commitment: Nudist on Strike

This has to be the easiest of all the costumes, and therefore it is the ultimate lazy girl option. Take a piece of cardboard and write ‘nudist on strike’ on it and that’s you ready to walk out the door. This costume is ideal for when you’re really down to the wire or don’t want to fully commit to the costume thing but want your amazing sense of humour to shine through. The best part is you can wear whatever you want!

4. For the make-up queen who wants her entire costume to consist of cosmetics: The Pop-Art Character

Now, although this is potentially more time consuming based on your make-up skills, I decided it was a good option for a lazy girl because all prep can be done sitting down (*winning*). Dust off your brushes, crack out the black eyeliner and get to drawing pop-art dots all over your face. I personally think this is an awesome costume and it can be done entirely last minute. Complete the look with some brightly coloured clothes and red lipstick and you’re ready to walk out the door.

5. For the slightly more ghoulish gal: The Joker

A polar opposite to the last idea, this requires little make- up skill (in fact the worse you are, the quicker you’ll nail your costume. Think too much powder, smudgy black eyeliner running down your face and a huge smear of red lipstick. If you can face back-combing your hair a bit and can find a tie and a pack of cards, then your look is complete!

Whatever your plans may be this Halloween, and no matter how late that invite rolls in, these looks should have you covered! 

image credits: 1, 2, 3