Jess Loram, The Meditation Society’s President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

I caught up with Jess Loram, the newly appointed President of the Durham University Meditation Society. She gives Her Campus the low down on why her society could be the answer to all of your worries.

So Jess, what made you want to joint the meditation society in the first place?

Well I joined last year as a Fresher because I’d heard a lot about meditation in the press and on social media. There seemed to be a real Mindfulness movement going on and I thought it would be the perfect way to get involved whilst settling in at University. I’ve always thought that university is

a time where you need to take time out from your busy schedule and meditation allows me to do this.

With a years membership under your belt, what made you want to run for President?

My experience of the society throughout Fresher’s year was really positive and I wanted to make sure its good work continued. I enjoyed the weekly sessions and felt that they helped me adjust to university life. I ultimately want to raise awareness of meditation and its benefits, hopefully helping others along the way.

I feel like lots of people have preconceived ideas about Meditation, images of Buddha, yoga mats and tree huggers often springing to mind. What does meditation mean to you?

haha that’s a good question! Meditation is interpreted differently by different people, but I think the best way to describe it is as a state of mind. I agree with many that it is very transformative. This sounds so hippy, but it’s a way of achieving inner peace, enabling you to reach an almost detached state of mind in which you can watch your thoughts and worries glide by and not let them dictate your life and wellbeing. Our society is not affiliated with any religion and simply concentrates on promoting a more positive and healthy mindset.

Do you think this makes meditation especially relevant to students?

Yes definitely! Once you practice meditation, you can use it to improve everyday life; it becomes a transferrable skill. If you’ve got an essay deadline, for example, meditation trains you to be able to stay on task and concentrate. You teach yourself not to get caught up in negative thoughts and live a more happy, balanced life.

Could you talk us through a typical session?

Our sessions take place every Wednesday at St Anthony’s Priory from 1:15 to 2:00. They are not led by me but by a gentleman called Theo who has been connected with the university and meditation society for many years. It’s all very relaxed. You can walk in and take a seat where you fancy and as soon as everyone is settled, Theo welcomes us and directs us to think about our

posture and any aches in the body. He aims to draw our attention to how our bodies are feeling so we can become more mindful of the space we are in. Most of the session is held in silence with our eyes closed, with Theo giving occasional tips on how to improve our meditation technique.

Do you find it difficult to stay quiet for that length of time?

No because it feels very much like a group effort. You might think it’s quite isolating because we have to kind of forget everyone is there, but it actually feels very unifying. Everyone there helps to create a good environment in which you can really concentrate and get the most out of the session.

Can you meditate on your own?

I do because if you do really want to transform your mind, you have to practice. You have to be proactive – little and often is best. I like using an app called Headspace which provides daily, guided sessions. Even though this is helpful, I find it much difficult to stop my mind from wandering when practicing alone. Our group sessions are a great way to get started.

I see that you put a lot of emphasis on ‘transforming the mind’, what exactly do you mean by this?

Yeah, it sounds quite revolutionary but science has shown that meditation, in particular mindfulness meditation, really does have positive effects. One study shows that meditators are more likely to do things autonomously, not because they are forced to, but because they are more equipped to. It has also been proven that meditation causes an increase in the area of the brain

that regulates our emotions, enabling you to deal with stress much more easily. These are just two reasons why students should definitely give it a go!

How can we find out more about meditation and its benefits?

Well, a quick google will reveal endless information about meditation but I really recommend a book by Dr Danny Penman called ‘Mindfulness: A practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world’. It’s a really interesting read and a nice break from your academic stuff.

And finally, could you sum up your society in 3 words?

Calming, transformative and healthy!

If you’re interested in what Jess has told us, then why not check out the Meditation Society’s Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/410124855787058/?fref=ts

I am currently in my final year of studying English Literature at Durham University, England. I am hoping to become a journalist in the future, but in the mean time, I enjoy cheerleading, fashion and travelling, and of course, being the editor of Durham's Her Campus!