This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

Post – Christmas Blues – and how to cure them

Christmas is over, the parties are done, and now a bleak January and February loom ahead with seemingly little to look forward to until Valentine’s Day, if you’re into that sort of thing. So, here’s a list of how to cure the post-Christmas blues!

1. A trip to the cinema: The Gala theatre is showing two different screenings of films that aren’t current box office releases. On the 23rd January there’s an opportunity to catch a marathon of all three of Christopher Nolan’s Batman films. It starts at 1pm on Sunday and tickets are only £10 – bargain! They’re also doing a special Valentine’s screening of the classic An Officer and a Gentlemen. So maybe it might be more aimed at couples with the V-Day screening (and optional meal ticket for an extra £13), but there’s no reason not to grab a couple of friends and head down to just the film for a fiver

2. Comedy: Castle Theatre Company are doing a Comedy Cabaret night, involving sketches and stand up from their absolute finest, including a sketch from some Durham alumni! It takes place on February 1st, from 20:00 until 23:00 in Castle’s Great Hall. Tickets cost £5, but can you a ticket which includes a bottle of wine for £12; apparently not a night to be missed. 
  3. Treat yourself: there’s nothing to beat the winter blues like buying yourself something pretty. Go for a new jumper to ward off the cold weather, or grab a new lip balm for your chapped lips. Allowing the occasional treat works brilliantly, and some new makeup or clothes will keep you content for just long enough. Plus, a lot of the shops still have their sales on! 
  4. Join a society: the DSU often holds a “try it out” sort of event, where you can trial a new sport or group meeting to get a feel for it. What better way to cheer yourself up than joining a new society, picking up a sport, or joining a charity event? Especially if the first one is free! 
  5. If this is all sounding slightly pricey, or a bit too much effort, then a chilled out movie night is the way forward. Find a good film on the TV, or the stall in the market sells super-cheap previously owned films. Grab a bag of popcorn and some mates, and you’re all set for a nice, cheerful night.

I'm Abby, I'm 19 and from Collingwood College, Durham University. I'm studying Archaeology and in my spare time I enjoy writing, reading, and helping on my college ENTs team.
Hey! I am a second year student at Durham University studying Sociology and Anthropology. I love writing and spending time with people and so cannot wait to start a HerCampus Chapter at Durham.