This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

Channel 4’s exceptional new show It’s a Sin has left audiences across the country reeling with its depiction of life during the AIDS crisis of the 1980s. In the ‘80s there were many misconceptions about HIV and AIDS, which led to stigmas and a general misunderstanding of how to treat the illness. Unfortunately, many of the same misconceptions still exist today and the stigma continues.

It is important to differentiate between HIV and AIDS. HIV is the virus which is contracted through various bodily fluids and AIDS is the condition which HIV can develop into if left untreated. Misconceptions over who HIV and AIDS affects are demonstrated throughout It’s a Sin. In a compilation scene early on, Ritchie reels off many of the wild myths about HIV and AIDS. One thing the characters never understand is why AIDS seems to only affect gay men. But this is another misconception. Anyone can get HIV, and in fact, women made up just under a third of all HIV cases in the UK in 2019. HIV does, however, still disproportionately affect those identifying as gay men, and this has been a constant source of homophobia and hatred directed towards the LGBTQIA+ community, which was at its peak in the 1980s. Women affected by HIV are not shown in It’s a Sin; we can assume this is because it would have taken away from the main point of the series—to show the beautifully vibrant, full lives led by members of the LGBTQIA+ community in the ‘80s, despite the huge adversity they faced.

Many people then believed that HIV and AIDS could be passed on through casual contact or kissing; the fact that it is transmitted almost always sexually was not common knowledge. Jill demonstrates this misconception in It’s a Sin when she is caring for the group’s friend Gloria while he is seriously ill with HIV. However, as the show progresses, and the characters learn more about the virus, they are shown having far greater physical contact with those who are diagnosed with AIDS. Sadly, it seems that not much has changed since the ‘80s with regard to how the public view people diagnosed with HIV. One study found that almost half of the British public would feel uncomfortable kissing an HIV positive person, and 38% would choose not to go on a date with someone with HIV. This stigma is dangerous as it can force HIV sufferers into feeling like they cannot be open about their diagnoses, which has often led to serious mental health conditions among those who are HIV positive. For example, tthe risk of depression is twice as high for people diagnosed with HIV. It’s a Sin does a good job of addressing the toll that an HIV or AIDS diagnosis can take on mental health while also showing how life could still be enjoyed despite the life-threatening diagnosis.

Today, being diagnosed with HIV is a completely different story to the one shown in It’s a Sin. Thanks to modern anti-retroviral treatment, 97% of all people diagnosed with HIV in the UK have an undetectable viral load. This means that the levels of HIV in the blood are so low that the virus cannot be passed on. Pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) and post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) are both being more widely distributed throughout the UK and are highly successful in preventing HIV negative people from catching the virus. A significant milestone was reached in 2017 when the overall mortality rate for people aged 15-59 who were diagnosed early with HIV was the same as people who didn’t have HIV from the same age group; this means that those diagnosed early will not have their life span limited by the disease.

It’s a Sin has had a massive impact in highlighting stigma associated with HIV and AIDS. Since the series first aired, there has been a visible increase in HIV testing nationwide. The show reopened the discussion about HIV and AIDS as well as debunking various myths associated with the conditions. It has touched a generation who have not lived through the AIDS crisis. For young people, the show has stressed the importance of being aware of your sexual health status and is supported by the fabulous cast’s personal advocating for wider testing. HIV and AIDS are still tragically prevalent in society, but they are now curable. Stigma is the only part of the disease left to be cured, but with the help of shows like It’s a Sin raising awareness once again, hopefully soon those diagnosed with HIV and AIDS will be rightly supported and no longer face hatred and violence due to their diagnoses.

Visit this website to order a free HIV test. 

Isobel Clark

Durham '22

Isobel studies French and Russian at Durham University. She loves discovering new (and old) music, voicing her political opinions and taking in art and culture. In her free time she can be found on the hockey pitch, in a boat or enjoying a long walk. She is very excited to be a part of Her Campus this year.