This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

Meet Hild Bede’s friendliest face at the moment. Head Frep, Claire Forster, told us all about what she had planned for Freshers and we wish we had been there!

Where are you from?

Surrey (not sorry)

What do you study?

Chemistry

Why did you pick Durham University?

I loved the collegiate system, and it’s such a pretty city! But most of all because it’s a good one for my course!

What’s your favourite thing about the University?

I’d say the collegiate system again, and the calmen learning centre café, I’ve spent way too much time in there for it not to get a mention.

What do you love about Hild Bede?

I love the area and the space, it’s so nice in summer to have so much grass to lie on, and to be so close to the river. I love it being so big, and each accommodation block having its own identity, there are constantly new people to meet! (I don’t think I even know 2/3 of the fresher’s from our year)

If you had to pick another college to go to, what would it be?

This is a tough one, I suppose I originally applied for castle, so would be tempted to say that (the harry potter experience and all that!), but having experienced the colleges atmosphere a bit more, I think I would have to say Cuths or Collingwood (I’m going to be severely questioned for picking a hill college!)

Why did you want to be Head Frep?

I had such a good fresher’s week and wanted to help recreate that, and it’s literally the biggest party planning ever! (and I love fancy dress)

What was the application process?

We had to submit a sheet with our ideas and policies on, and then had to make a speech in the SRC meeting and then online voting (the New Zealand system.)

How have you had to prepare for Freshers’ Week?

Over the summer, mainly sorting out all the events both inside and outside college, but during prep week we’ve all been painting, envelope filling, stash wearing and counting down the days until the fresher’s arrive!

What is your theme?

Around the World- ‘HB ON TOUR’

Tell us a bit about what you’ve got planned.

Rumble in the jungle, Hawaiian boat party, 90’s Glastonbury acoustic night are just the start… It’s safe to say we’ve got a jam-packed week full of all kinds of events

Do you have a freshers’ week song/dance, what is it?

Of course we do! The Frepexec are busting some moves to ‘Low’ #applebottomjeans sporting some SWEET new Frep snapbacks!

Why is your freshers’ week better than any other colleges?

I think it’s got to do with how much variety of events we have, from a board games night, to the crazy incebreaker gameshow, to an acoustic night with a bar quiz- we’ve got it covered for the interests of hopefully every fresher

How have you brought your frep team together?

The Frep team have all be really great, really eager to help out and all the time together has obviously helped loads! We had a Frepexec bonding night in Newcastle that was great fun, but resulted in me losing my voice from anti-Hatfield chants the whole bus ride there.

What’s the funniest thing you experienced as a fresher?

I have no idea! Watching some of my friends do some very embarrassing things while drunk probably, one of them got the wrong direction after leaving Loveshack and just never stopped. He walked until about 6.30am, then realized and hitchhiked back to Durham in a lorry!

What was the hardest thing about freshers’ week for you?

Going from being surrounded by your closest friends, to being surrounded by strangers, knowing that you had to make friends out of these strangers. It’s made a lot easier by how eager everyone is to make friends!

What is your best memory from freshers’ week?

My favourite memory from freshers week was our silent disco at the end of the fresher’s ‘Superhero vs Supervillan’ finale. Everyone got together and singing ‘NEVER FORGET’ was the first time I felt properly at home in Hild Bede and as cringe as it sounds was like, “this is gonna be a good year”.

If you could do Freshers’ again what would you do differently?

I’m not sure, fresher’s is all about the good and the bad, and even though it’s a really crazy, fun week, the bits about it that weren’t so great are also part of fresher’s in a way. I think if I could do it again I would definitely go more all out on the fancy dress, and maybe spend more of the daytime in the Vern (the legend that is Hild Bede’s bar)

What advice would you give to your freshers?

GET STUCK IN. Honestly that’s the way to do it, remember you aren’t confined to your corridor for friends, and clubs and societies are one of the best ways to feel part of something!

What are you looking forward to about university this year?

Living in a house is totally different to college, its really fun and I love cooking (not that I’ve really had to do it at all, I’ve been getting college meals these past days #missedthosepotatoes)

I am currently in my final year of studying English Literature at Durham University, England. I am hoping to become a journalist in the future, but in the mean time, I enjoy cheerleading, fashion and travelling, and of course, being the editor of Durham's Her Campus!