Her Campus Durham’s Galentine’s Social

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

Despite most of us not having known Galentine’s Day was an actual thing before this week, Her Campus Durham decided to spend February 13th with our gals, some cocktails and a bit of Christian Grey.

After meeting for drinks at Ebony and catching up with each other about everyone’s plans (or lack of plans) for Valentine’s Day, we set off for the Gala where Mr Grey was waiting for us. The excitement in the cinema was hilarious – women of all ages were shrieking and giggling with their friends, wondering what was going to go down in the Red Room this time around.

Fifty Shades has a reputation for lacking in actual substance. We all agreed that the first film was great fun and something very different but the absence of an actual storyline was evident. I had watched an interview with Jamie Dornan on the Graham Norton Show where he warned viewers that Fifty Shades of Darker had more sex in it even than the first film did. Despite this, everyone was surprised that this new film actually had a plot to it! I won’t spoil it too much but as well as lots of spanking, a few scary looking implements and some impressive lingerie, there was also a more interesting plot twist and a sort of cliff-hanger that made us all speculate what the next film will entail.

Happy Galentine’s Day everyone!

A massive thank you to DU Baking Society for the yummy, Valentine’s-themed red velvet cupcakes. They went down a treat!