HC Durham Loves… Reading for Fun

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

There’s nothing better than reading to distract you from the copious amount of work you have.  Here are my top 5 reading outlets:

1. Off Assignment

This online publication sheds light on untold stories by a plethora of writers with writing prompts such as a “letter to a stranger” and “behind the briefings”.  These pieces are from various parts of the world, from New York to Thailand, and intertwine fragments of culture, story-telling and emotion.  Through this the reader can relive a certain moment in that person’s life.

1. The New Yorker

An American magazine brimming with essays, satire, criticism and reportage, this never fails to make me laugh on a gloomy day in Durham.  From its witty Instagram cartoons on politics to its most popular short story titled “Cat Person” on modern-day dating, there is always something to laugh or cry at, depending on your mood.

1. The Business of Fashion

The Business of Fashion takes a spin on the fashion industry, providing articles on a multitude of things including the business intelligence on emerging designers, upcoming global brands and the role that technology plays for certain fashion brands. (Read this while you’re having your Flat White brunch to feel even more cliché).

1. The Culture Trip

Everyone needs a bit of wanderlust and ‘The Culture Trip’ is here to foster just that – with more than 3,000 articles every month, it’ll make you want to book a ticket ASAP to fly off to Morocco.  However, it’s not purely about the best places to go when you travel; there are also articles debating whether New York should shut down its 24-hour subway and how a British luxury label is fighting mass consumption in fashion.

1. Refinery29

If you’re in search of lighthearted reading, from ’18 ways to wear bold colours this spring’ to ‘9 tips straight from chefs who meal prep for a living’, this publication brings out the inner 35 year old yoga mum in me (who has got her life together).

Her Campus Durham's Editor-In-Chief and Campus Correspondent