Girls on Tour: Where to go on Your Girls Holiday This Year!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

Exams are nearly over and so it’s now a perfectly acceptable time to start getting excited about summer and this year’s girls holiday! Whatever you’re looking for, a cultural city break with the girls or your very own ‘Sun Sex & Suspicious Parents’ experience, here are some suggestions as to the best places to go this year.

Budapest

The things people have told me about their travels in Budapest have me so excited about it that I’ve booked my flights out with friends already! Not only are there great sightseeing opportunities for the culture-vultures, including the Royal Palace, Matthias Church and the Central Market Hall, but I’ve heard Budapest is home to some of the best party hostels in Europe. A trip down the Danube followed by the thermal baths in the day and then a night spent in the quirky ‘Szimpla Kert’ bar sounds like a good plan to me.

Zante

Ok, so some people may tell you otherwise but Zante never fails to provide a great girls holiday. It’s up there with Malia, Magaluf and Kavos in the booze-cruise extravaganza category and if you’re looking for lots of cheap alcohol and amazing sun, it could be the place for you. Head to ‘Fishbowl’ on the strip for a literally huge pre-drinks and dancing on tables, and then later on around 2:30am ‘Cherry Bay’ is apparently THE place to be. Finish your nights at BJ’s (the place names in Zante are sure to give you a good laugh, if nothing else) for a euro-a-slice pizza experience.

Inter-railing

This is such a good idea because the options are endless. A new city every couple of days – I personally couldn’t think of a better holiday, as long as you don’t mind potentially long train journeys! From Prague to Rome, from Dubrovnik to Stockholm and from Krakow to Amsterdam, there’s sure to be something you like. Great bars, beautiful architecture and fab food can be found everywhere you go: using the Lonely Planet guides is all well and good but I’d say that word of mouth can work wonders in helping you make the most of your European adventure.

Mumbai

This may seem like a slightly out-there option for a girls holiday but you’d be surprised at what this city actually has to offer. Not only have I had the nicest food I’ve ever tasted at the Britannia & Co. restaurant (try the berry pulao and sali boti – I promise you’ll be eternally grateful), but the whole pace and atmosphere of this bustling city is so exciting, if not a little scary at first! There are amazing markets, beautiful buildings, great places for a pitcher of Kingfisher and a cheesy garlic naan (namely Leopold’s Café in the Colaba area) and surprisingly a pretty interesting, cheap and diverse nightlife. Try Athena, The Big Nasty or even Aer at The Four Seasons if you prefer classy cocktails. Also, did I mention? McDonald’s deliver!