Future Trevelyan JCR President: Alex Tansey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

This week I interview Trevelyan College’s newest president, Alex Tansey, to find out how he’s feeling about taking on the daunting task.

Name: Alex Tansey

Year: Second

Studying: History

Firstly, what made you want to be president? It is a huge undertaking after all!

Hey! Ive had such an incredible time at university and college has been a huge part of it. I love getting involved in everything so I thought that applying for President would be a great idea to get even more involved in college life!

So Tansey, describe to me the emotions that you felt when you were announced as Trevs’ next president.

Very excited! During a break from summative work, results were announced in the bar.  I was incredibly happy to have been elected and know that so many people voted for me makes the whole thing very real and the responsibility is felt as well.

And how do you feel knowing that you will be filling the shoes of Hannah Pilkington, Trev’s former president? This must be rather nerve wracking.

Indeed. Hannah and her team did a fantastic job with college and it definitely will be a hard act to follow! Hannahs my academic mother, so its nice to get some tips about President and academic work all at the same time which helps with those nerves.

What are your plans to revolutionise Trevelyan College in your year as president?

Revolutionise is perhaps a strong word, but I will, as is natural, want to make a few changes along with my new executive team and suggestions from the wider JCR. Brief plans- more interaction between common rooms, links with other colleges and this term well be seeing some other great events going on. Not exactly my plan, but 2015-16 is Trevss 50th anniversary year so it will be a huge honour and incredibly fun to preside over such a big year for the wider college community as well. Im very excited for the year ahead!

How are you feeling about living in college again?

Cant wait. The catering staff are amazing and I am very much looking forward to eating more and healthier food; I wasnt the best cook as my house mates can testify. It will be so great having friends under the same roof, as well as having the library, dining hall, bar and gym all within a few minutes away will be very useful.

Describe to me the process which led to your victory (i.e. husting, knocking on people’s doors, manifestos, what not.)

I husted before the JCR meeting and on each landing in college. I was wary that some people were busy with essays and things so I kept everything brief and informal and generally people were interested in the election which was great.

What advice would you give to anyone seeking to apply for the role of president next year?

Ill have to see how my time as president goes so I could give more advice! The main thing is to get incredibly excited and make sure you really want to do it. In terms of the application, I think keeping things informal and brief, as there is a longer letter you send to JCR members about ideas etc, is the best way to help people listen more carefully to you.

What are you most and least looking forward to?

Im looking forward to everything!  Its going to be amazing working with a great executive team and helping to make college that special place for everyone. In particular, organising big events such as the Summer Ball and seeing my friends enjoy such events will be amazing as well. Least looking forward to? I think that sometimes the work of doing president and being a finalist will be tricky- but I have Hannah to get advice from and a great executive team where well all be supporting eachother in the roles!

My sources tell me that you were involved in Trevelyan College’s musical – ‘My Favourite Year’ – a few months ago. What other hobbies do you have that you will be doing in your spare time when you are not being presidential?

Very good sources- Im glad you remembered I was in it! Yes, well Ive tried to do musical theatre. Ill continue to do drama as well as playing football, tennis, and other sports for college as well as playing my saxophone. I may also need to get a few rounds of golf in to have nice breaks.  Im someone who likes to try everything and anything- staying active and busy in my free time as well is the best way to make the most out of university and look forward to the year ahead.