Freshers’ Fashion: A Guide to Clubbing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

It’s a daunting thing coming to University, where nightlife is an important part of the culture and achieving that desirable “not too try hard but still pretty great looking” style is key. In Durham this is worsened by the fact that there are cobblestones to grapple with (rendering any chance of heels completely out of the question) and the other, and more pressing matter, the Arctic conditions. Thus we have a little dilemma: What should be worn on a night out in Durham?

1.     Invest in a pair of Klute Shoes – this is a necessary evil. Any shoes that enter Klute will leave the building as a completely different pair of shoes. Therefore if you don’t want your favourite pair ruined by the mystery substance that is the floor of Klute, purchase a cheap and cheerful pair of pumps or utilise an old number from the back of your wardrobe.

2.     Going out coat-less doesn’t make you a martyr – Durham is extremely cold, especially if, like me, you’ve ventured up here from the south. Alcohol induced jackets, whilst seemingly okay at the time, will only make getting over Freshers’ Flu that bit more tricky. If you’re opposed to paying cloakroom fees, don’t underestimate the power of finding secret hiding places or even just holding your jacket.

3.     Don’t be precious with your clothes – It’s likely that a lot, if not the majority, of your clothes will end up with a carelessly handled Woodgate down the front. Enter at your own risk.

4.     Being a Geordie takes time and practice – The Locals have been doing this from birth. They are pros at tackling the frozen winters in bare legs, and taking the cobblestones in their 10 inch heels. Do not try this at home. Without the Geordie blood, it will just end in disaster and embarrassment. 

19 year old Psychology student, Durham University. Londoner through and through and world explorer. Traveller, chef, writer, musical geek, and shower popstar. Completely un-tech-savvy in every way, shape and form.