Exploring Vietnam: Georgina Thorpe’s Travel Route

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

This summer, I was very fortunate to embark upon a 10 day tour travelling from the north to the south of Vietnam.  I could easily describe this holiday as one of the best that I have ever been on!

In the past, my family and I have travelled with Explore!, a company that specialises in a diverse variety of holidays, ranging from action packed short breaks to lengthier voyages. Each tour group is assigned a local guide who travels with you throughout the length of your trip, providing a wealth of information and frequently showing you hidden gems within the country. This year, my family and I joined the fast paced Vietnam Express tour to show us the wonders of the country.

Our tour began in Hanoi, where after having arrived a couple of days in advance, we met our group.  Largely formed of families like my own, we were also joined by a lecturer in Psychology at Durham University, who was there with her new husband on their honeymoon!  What a small world, huh?  Hanoi is a bustling and lively city where the sheer number of motorbikes and mopeds is startling.  The simple task of crossing the road is a perilous challenge; red lights mean very little, and so our tour guide advised us to cross as a large group and to stick together like sticky rice!  Cars cost an arm and a leg in Vietnam, and although the country is in a process of rapid development, the average income cannot provide the means to purchase four wheels. So instead, two wheels must suffice!

After several days of exploration in Hanoi, our tour group journeyed by bus to Halong City where we were to enjoy a wonderful cruise around Halong Bay.  The World Heritage Site here is a must see; over 1000 islands that emerge from the sapphire waters. Upon our return to Hanoi, we boarded an overnight train from Hanoi to the city of Hue.

The next city beginning with ‘H’ was Hoi An, and as Jeremy Clarkson so accurately described it in the Top Gear Vietnam Special, it is Vietnam’s Saville Row! Photographs of Hoi An illustrate a beautiful place; garlands of colourful lamps and streets bustling with tailors.  I can assure you that Hoi An is every bit as magical as such images suggest.  Our wonderful guide directed us to a tailor by the name of Yaly, the company that did in fact produce the flamboyant suits that the Top Gear presenters debuted during their epic motorbike adventure!  This tailor could make anything and every garment would fit like a glove. As a lover of fashion, I simply could not resist the temptation of a new dress that would be entirely unique and made to measure.  After much difficulty, I eventually chose a piece which I had spotted on a mannequin and – after many measurements and a few alterations to the design – it was delivered to my hotel room the very next day. Now that is what I call efficient!

After our time in Hoi An, we boarded a short flight to Ho Chi Minh City, formally Saigon.  This modern and cosmopolitan city, with its glamourous shopping malls and immaculate parks, provided a stark contrast to the markets in Hanoi.  The increase in cars was noticeable, although there are still 7 million motorbikes in Ho Chi Minh City alone.  A wonderful dinner was enjoyed on our final evening, followed by cocktails on the rooftop bar of the Rex Hotel!  This was extremely special, and a perfect finale to such an amazing holiday.

It has been hard finding words that describe my time in Vietnam with justice. It is a country so rich, so diverse, scenic, beautiful, historical, tenacious and above all, resilient.  I hope that I can inspire you to visit such a wonderful place.  I for one plan to return, and hopefully next time I will do it all by motorbike!

Image Credits:

Taken by the author

https://pixabay.com/photo-219082/

Taken by the author 

Taken by the author

Taken by the author