Escaping the Durham Bubble

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

We all know what it’s like to feel stuck in ‘the Durham bubble’. Now we’re half way through the term this feeling is probably reaching its peak. We have collaborated with Jess Connolly, writer of the blog Highlighting the North East and one of last years CC’s, to bring you a few ways you can beat the cabin fever and explore the surrounding area.

Visit the Quayside

Why don’t you go on a visit to the Quayside in Newcastle? There’s so many bridges to see and they’re even more beautiful by night. Along the Quayside are not only swanky bars and restaurants, but a shipping container turned Mexican eatery called Barrio Comida which is a must see. Every Sunday there is also a market, with loads of Geordie retailers and stalls that is good to check out. 

Go to Tynemouth for fish and chips

Tynemouth is only a short metro ride away from the centre of Newcastle, and it’s a stunning beach to visit! You can buy the tastiest fish and chips at Marshall’s and eat them with a great view across Tynemouth and Cullercoats and Tynemouth Priory.

Peruse the Grainger Market

Grainger market is a great historic market that sells everything you can think of. It is basically aisles and aisles of different stores from local traders and there’s always a lively and bustling atmosphere. The best stalls to look out for are Pet Lamb Patisserie (amazing cakes and sweet treats), La Casa Delicatessen (fabulous Spanish deli), Slice (the busiest lunchtime store selling huge slices of the tastiest Italian pizza) and Turkish Street Food. If you’re feeling like doing something Christmassy, the Grainger Market’s always hold Christmas events each year where the stalls stay open late and festive entertainment is put on as well as special offers and guided tours of the historic market.

Go to a gig at The Cluny

The Ouseburn Valley in Newcastle is probably the coolest area of Newcastle. It is lined with great pub after great pub, making it the ideal place in Geordieland for a pub crawl! The Cluny is a fantastic, small live music venue right by the Ouseburn and it also has a great bar selling a great selection of real ales. It’s a really intimate venue that showcases up and coming talent – a great place to enjoy a night with friends.

Have breakfast at Violet’s

Forget about Flat White, Violet’s does the best breakfasts around! Violet’s is owned by Abbie Atkinson, the wife of Kenny Atkinson who owns The House of Tides – Newcastle’s Michelin star restaurant so the quality is guaranteed to be good. The décor is the definition of shabby chic with mix and match china, homemade cakes, and waffles covered in fruits, seeds and edible flowers. What’s not to like?

Hopefully this article has given you some inspiration for fun activities to do when you need to escape uni work. Make sure to head over to Jess’ blog for loads more ideas!

Image Credits: 

All taken from the blog Highlighting the North East – go and check it out!!