This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

So here we are, halfway through Earth Week; but do we really know why today, 22nd April, is so important? From the first Earth Day in 1970, campaigners have worked to ‘diversify, educate and activate the environmental movement worldwide’.  They share a continual commitment to improve the quality of life of people around the globe. As emphasised on their extensive website, Earth Day is not just about hugging trees. It is a charity organisation, focused on improving school environments, tackling water pollution, creating jobs in marginalized communities, and so much more. Their holistic approach means that as well as raising awareness of eco-friendly lifestyle changes to a Durham University student, they can create jobs in sectors that desperately need sustainable innovation. Here,  we’ll deep dive into what Earth Day as a charity organisation does in some of its sectors, and question why this is so important to us here at Durham.

Climate Action

Among a lot of very depressing statistics, the climate action page of Earth Day is hugely informative. With nifty functions such as a ‘foodprint calculator’, the website pushes readers to consider their personal duties as a consumer, as well as informing them on the impact of voting and governmental rule. Rather than directly blaming individuals, as is all too common in strict environmental narratives, Earth Day takes an approach that is non-confrontational and allows for a really interesting read. Through video, interactive functions and article, there’s lots to read up on climate action at https://www.earthday.org/our-work/#climate-action .

Science & Education

In the science and education sector, Earth Day is pushing for more education on environmental issues, claiming:

‘Environmental education empowers students around the world to solve the climate crisis and develop the skills, optimism and resolve to lead the environmental movement of tomorrow.’

One area of Earth Day’s educational drive is focused specifically on college campuses, pushing for a united front against the environmental crisis. With the University of Cambridge listed under the Earth Day network (sorry, I shouldn’t mention the C word), Durham is sure to follow. Currently, instead of joining a united University system that fights against detrimental environmental changes, Durham lets you give away your old bits and bobs when you move out of halls. It’s a start, but hopefully the celebration of Earth Day around the globe will push Durham to participate, adding to its current environmental policies.

People & Communities

With a further focus on education, Earth Day is calling for assessed climate and environmental education for children around the world, with the hope that the next generation will use their education to encourage innovation and change. What is admirable about this charity is just how open and diverse it is; intent on utilising the power of the masses, Earth Day works with religious communities, schools, councils, artists and athletes. Their utopian idea of community makes working for environmental change a positive action, despite the huge challenges they face.

Conservation & Restoration

As HerCampus Durham encourages you to all go out for a litter pick on ‘Trashy Tuesday’, Earth Day organises these worldwide on even larger scales. From D.C to Gambia, trash is lying in the cracks of pavements and piling up in rubbish heaps. This is where we, as individuals can play a huge part. To help battle the 79% of all plastic ever produced going into landfill, we challenge you to go and pick up as much trash as you can, recycling hard plastics, glass, cans and cardboard. To keep safe, make sure to wear gloves or use a litter picking stick, and only pick up objects that look safe to touch. This doesn’t have to be confined to Earth Week, but it could be a great place to start. If we all do this, we can look forward to a cleaner, healthier Durham this summer!

Plastic & Pollution

Earth Day takes an approach that counters the farcical ‘eco-friendly’ movement we often see on our Instagram feeds, blatantly stating on its plastic and pollution site that: 

‘single-use plastics are so prevalent that trying to avoid them can seem hopeless. That’s why our campaign also focuses on systematic problems of plastic use, including the large-scale sources of plastic.’

Other than directly engaging with NGOs around the world, however, Earth Day also gives us a list of individual ways to help, including carrying a reusable shopping bag, joining litter cleanups and using reusable cutlery. These are not the sole focus of their work, but are useful changes encouraged in the masses.

Earth Day is so important because of just how much it does. From reducing plastics to increasing education, being involved in this charity’s endeavour is a huge step towards addressing climate issues in our modern world. At Durham, we are among the privileged few who have time to go for a litter pick, and we have so many options about what we buy, and where. Furthermore, our ability to vote and protest can have a direct impact on the governmental level changes that occur with regard to the environment. With a holistic, wide ranging outlook on eco-friendly actions, all of us can make a difference to the world we will inhabit in the future.

For more information, see: https://www.earthday.org/ 

Hi! I’m Rachel, an English Undergraduate and editor for HerCampus Durham.
Olivia is a second year history undergraduate and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Durham. When she is not extensively quoting Nora Ephron, she can be found writing about news, politics, food or anything which takes her fancy.