The Durham Revue’s Ambika Mod!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

This week we are speaking to Ambika Mod from the hilarious sketch comedy group, the Durham Revue!

How did you get in to sketch comedy? Was it something you always had in mind when coming to university?

Sketch comedy is something that I’ve been interested in ever since I discovered SNL when I was about 16. At that point though, I hadn’t done a lot of comedy so writing and performing sketches was still a daunting prospect. I found out about the Durham Revue before coming to university and it was something I was very keen to be a part of but I never thought in a million years that I would actually get in. I had never written anything before auditioning for the Revue so that’s really where I got my start.

Which comedians inspire you?

As I mentioned before I’m a huge fan of SNL and really American comedy in general. My main comedic inspirations have been involved with SNL in some way or are part of that whole NBC comedy sector. I really love people like Amy Poehler, Tina Fey, and Steve Carell who are not only terrific comedic actors but who have also written a lot of their own material. Growing up, I adored Friends (and still do) and would credit that show a lot to my comedic tastes and habits.

What have been your favourite sketches or shows which you have done so far?

From my two years in the Revue, it’s really hard to pick favourites but some that come to mind instantly are Flying Ant Day (a parody of Rom coms like Valentine’s Day and New Year’s Eve but about Flying Ant Day), and a couple from this year called The Exam (about the multicultural names used in science exam questions) and Guess Who (an audience participation sketch where we literally played Guess Who with the audience).

What tips would you give anyone who wants to get in to sketch comedy?

I would say just go out there and do it. There are so many platforms for budding comedians to take advantage of, whether you’re into sketch comedy, stand up, comedic acting, but they’re often hard to find unless you actively look for them. The comedy community in Durham is very supportive and new talent is always welcomed. There’s a Facebook page called Durham Comedy Association which is a really good place to find opportunities to get involved.

What have The Revue got planned for the rest of the year?

The Revue has just finished their two major shows in Durham this year (at the Assembly Rooms and Gala Theatres) so all of the hard work writing and rehearsing is over! This week, we’re going to Cambridge to perform with the Footlights and the Oxford Revue and in June, we’ll be doing All Stars at the Assembly Rooms. All Stars is a Revue event that only happens once every three years in which successful alumni, as well as the Revues of the past few years, come back to perform in one show! We’ll also be off to Edinburgh to perform our show at the Fringe – for me, the highlight of the year!

Why not friend the Durham Revue on Facebook or follow them on twitter to keep up to date with all their performances?

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/durham.revue?fref=ts

Twitter: https://twitter.com/TheDurhamRevue

Third year English student at Durham University.
I am currently in my final year of studying English Literature at Durham University, England. I am hoping to become a journalist in the future, but in the mean time, I enjoy cheerleading, fashion and travelling, and of course, being the editor of Durham's Her Campus!