DUHS Lumley Castle Ball

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

Last Thursday, Durham University History Society held their annual ball at Lumley Castle in Chester-le-Street. After being dropped off by coaches in front of the majestic castle, we were met by a kilted man playing the bagpipes, who led us to the dungeons. During the drinks reception, we were interrupted by a man in period dress who claimed to be able to transport us back in time to the Elizabethan Ages. We were led into the Banqueting Hall where we were given bibs, a knife and glasses of red wine and mead. There were five delicious courses, all of which we had to eat without a spoon or a fork! A group of actors kept us entertained throughout the banquet with Shakesperean comedy, local myths and singalongs. To top off what had already been a fantastic night, there was a dungeon disco and a historical photo-booth. It’s definitely not an event to miss next year! 

I am currently in my final year of studying English Literature at Durham University, England. I am hoping to become a journalist in the future, but in the mean time, I enjoy cheerleading, fashion and travelling, and of course, being the editor of Durham's Her Campus!