Don’t Get Me Started On… People Who Hate Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

I like Valentine’s Day. The soppy cards, the heart-shaped balloons, the general feeling of love all around… and, of course, the half-price chocolates that hit the sales in the aftermath. There’s genuinely something for all in the capitalist enterprise that is February 14th, whether it comes in the form of a new lingerie set from your beloved, or a basket full of Thornton’s and Ben & Jerry’s the week after. So why do people hate Valentine’s Day? Is it the kissing? The public displays of affection? The effect it has on your waistline after filling up on half-price treats?

It’s difficult not to scoff at people’s bitterness about the day. After all, your Valentine doesn’t have to be your partner. Maybe you want to celebrate with your closest university friend over a bottle of wine and a shared tub of ice cream. Or maybe you could send your mum a card, just to let her know you love her – after all, have you never received a Valentine’s gift from her in your early teens? And ultimately, there’s one very special person you should be celebrating with whether you’re single or in a relationship: yourself. You’ve carried yourself through relationships, through break-ups, through the Tinder dates and the Klute romances – you deserve to show yourself a bit of love more than anyone else. Valentine’s Day isn’t just for couples, so if you’re feeling bitter about that pair who hold hands in lectures, or the couple on your corridor whose constant giggling you can hear through the wall, just remember: you can celebrate it your own way, too.

Or perhaps it’s the mass consumerism that you’re not keen on. Are you the type of person who despairs at the Christmas decorations infiltrating shops in September? Do you steer clear of major cities when the January sales descend on high streets around the country? It’s understandable, then, that you don’t like Valentine’s Day. Even I have to admit it goes a bit too far, sometimes. What happened to old-fashioned love notes and flowers fresh from the florist’s? The unfortunate fact is that people don’t have time for that any more. Not everyone can afford to rustle up a bouquet of roses for the same price as a week’s worth of food. That’s where the allure of the consumerist market comes in: cheap and cheerful teddy bears, fake plastic flowers and heart-shaped balloons now do the trick just as well as the authentic gifts do. And after all, just because the shops are full of them, it doesn’t mean you have to buy into them. If you want something more authentic, on a budget, why not write a love letter? Take your partner on a picnic? Stay in, veg out on the sofa and watch something romantic on TV? Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be as commercialised as it’s made to be on the high street: you just have to be creative and willing to branch out a little bit.

I know Valentine’s Day isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. Some people might associate it with bad memories: others might have broken up with their partners a few days before. In that case, maybe it’s worth retreating a little and making the most of the time on your own. Buy a bath bomb and run a bath; order a takeaway and watch your favourite film for the fiftieth time; if you’re feeling brave, you could even treat yourself to a meal out at your favourite restaurant (it feels better than it sounds, I promise!). Or, if you need some company, grab your best friends and make a night of it. Valentine’s Day isn’t just for the couples – it’s to celebrate all kinds of love between all kinds of people, whether it’s mother and daughter, a group of best friends, or yourself. What’s the use of feeling bitter on such a love-filled day? Grab a Ben and Jerry’s and celebrate however you want to.

And finally… a special Valentine’s message from One Direction! 

Ellen is an English literature student still trying to find her bearings around Durham's winding streets despite being there for over two years. When she's not frantically reading for her tutorials, she writes for Durham's student publications, juggles two jobs and drinks copious amounts of green tea. To find out more about Ellen, and probably a lot of posts about feminism and books, follow her on Twitter: @llenfi
I am currently in my final year of studying English Literature at Durham University, England. I am hoping to become a journalist in the future, but in the mean time, I enjoy cheerleading, fashion and travelling, and of course, being the editor of Durham's Her Campus!