Don’t Get Me Started On…People Who Love Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

Controversial perhaps, but I am someone who finds the festivities surrounding Halloween quite … ridiculous. Don’t get me wrong – I’m all for fancy dress at things like comic-con, but at Halloween somehow it has become unappealing. Children love Halloween, and that is more than understandable. Who doesn’t want to dress up in a ‘scary’ outfit and be given candy at every door they knock on? But there is another side to Halloween you don’t find out about until you are older.

Unless you’re at a Halloween party [which many of you will be, dressed up in snazzy outfits], you will be inside, with the responsibility of being ‘Guardian of the Candy’. Every couple of minutes, someone will knock on your door, and you will have to answer. It is your job to prevent the children from getting all the sweets out of the bowl, with their bizarrely large scoops. For little hands, they sure can grab quite a few sweets out of the bowl!

There’s also the more recent ‘craze’ [aka my worst nightmare come to life] of the killer clowns walking around the streets. I bet that lots of people will dress up as clowns just to scare people who are already terrified because of this phenomenon! Usually Halloween is not really that terrifying, though people pretend that this is the case, but this Halloween, I’ll be keeping my door locked and looking through the peep-hole!

There’s also the people who go TOO over the top with things, for example buying loads of decorations for the house or buying outfits that cost a fortune and for what – just one silly night. Let’s also face the fact that every girl is probably going to be wearing a Harley Quinn outfit, which really is predictable and not so inventive. Though I must admit, at least they (probably) aren’t going to chase you around!

DESPITE all the above, I’d like to wish everyone a happy and safe Halloween! Don’t OD on sugar!

Not much to say, just a Criminology student with a passion for writing!
20 year old from London currently on her Year Abroad in Paris. Follow me on Instagram for photos of Paris and other interesting things. https://instagram.com/charliecronin/