Don’t Get Me Started On… Hangovers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

With the first week of term coming to a close there is one thing many of us could do without. Imagine waking up on a Saturday or Thursday morning, your mouth dry like the desert and your stomach making appalling noises while you sit there wondering if you’re nauseous or starving.

If you’re anything like me, it’ll take a good six hours before you decide to consume anything. If you’re like my friends, you’ll take 2-4 naps throughout the day. Needless to say, we could definitely do without hangovers. As I enter my third and final year at Durham University, I am shocked and taken aback by how my hangovers have changed in the last two years. I used to be able to get up and go shopping the next day or go days on end without a break. Now I am lucky if I can make it out twice a week if that!

Essential planning goes into a night out now. I have to plan to not have any plans the next day and plan to have all my work done before I head out, knowing I am going to be a sack of potatoes, ordering Dominos to my bed the next day (this has in fact happened, I got BBQ sauce all over my bed, do not recommend). Why do hangovers even exist?

I want to go out and dance with my friends and stay out late without feeling like there is a war raging in my body and frankly I’d really like to remember how much fun, if any, I had the night before. I could really do without the hangover sh**s and feeling like I have to throw my boyfriend out so I can puke in peace.

Well there, you got me started and now I can’t stop. Hangovers are brutal and they don’t get better with time. Drink litres of water before you go to bed. But try not to forget that you did this to yourself and whether you remember it or not, chances are you had a fabulous night and no matter how shit you’re feeling now, you’ll be doing it again soon.

Durham Law School Finalist