samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Don’t Get Me Started On… Beginning of Term Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

Sitting at your desk, contemplating a massive list of reading or an essay. What a way to begin the new year….. The excuses naturally follow when asked to socialise: Sorry can’t – have to study. Ohhhh actually, why not?! Yeah sure! I may as well begin procrastination right from day one. The beginning of term is a weird time. Mostly we’re excited to be back at uni, to see our friends again, to be free of our parents’ “I’m just coming into your room because I keep my clothes in your drawers” or perhaps “you’re the designated driver tonight”. But being back means we have to drag ourselves around again half-asleep for weeks on end, watching the grass grow from the library window as we attempt to read the opinions of people who evidently have never been to that country, and yet have written a book about it. And listen to that one person in the seminar who deems themselves worthy to be writing those books that we slave over. Or rediscover the pungent odour of the ecosystem in the kitchen sink that you thought you’d managed to erase from your memory.

Sometimes we might just wish we were on holiday again. Bring back Christmas when we could eat and sleep and chill with family and friends as much as we wanted, snuggle by the fire or go to the beach, geographic location permitting. Then come the inevitable questions: why do we need to be educated? Why are we here? Can’t we just live in a happy place where working isn’t necessary and everyone can do what they wish? 

But, at the same time, it’s always been like this. Back at school we wanted to stay on holiday forever so we could run around outside pretending to be Harry, Ron and Hermione, or, in later days, so we could have more chats about ideal prom/ball dresses. The first weeks back at school were similarly strange – we’d hear the holiday gossip and get excited about new classes, but soon enough we were counting down the days till the end of term. Before we got into the swing of it all again.

So I guess it’s the same thing at uni. When it comes down to it, we’ve just got to keep pushing through and give ourselves room to settle back down again. And the Easter hols will be faithfully waiting for us! But, oh wait, we have to revise… That’s why there’s five weeks though, and my positivity is saying there’s plenty of time for both work and play!