Butler’s Disney Society Presidents: Kira and Sam

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

This week I met up with Kira Browne and Sam Hughes, presidents of Butler’s hugely popular Disney Society, to find out more about themselves and the success behind the Society. We met at Biz-R Coffee House, Sam’s favourite Durham café, where she ordered her usual hot chocolate with cream and marshmallows while Kira bought a mango and strawberry smoothie, and I began launching questions at them.

Why did you both decide to run for the role of president this year?

Kira: Sam asked me to! It’s good because we’re together so if one of us can’t make it one week then it’s not a problem. And Disney is a pretty good society!Sam: It’s a fairly easy society to run and you have an exec position without having to do much.

(Kira and Sam on a Disney Soc fancy dress social)

Have you always been passionate about Disney?Kira: I didn’t really grow up with Disney. It’s not my fault, it’s my parents’ fault! My main childhood film was Mary Poppins but I didn’t watch them all. I own more Disney films now than I used to.Sam: You can’t not be passionate about Disney! I had them all. I went through a phase during primary school of watching Cinderella 2 every single day and I could still tell you all the words!

Why do you think Disney is so popular?Kira: It always leaves you feeling nice. Fairy tales have always been popular, and the songs are good.Sam: The songs are amazing! The films always have happy endings and they teach moral lessons.

If you had to choose a favourite, which would you go for?Kira: I like Moulin as a film because it’s not the typical story and has really good songs, but my other favourite would be Frozen more for the memories attached to it. When I was au pairing in Finland I taught Let It Go to the children I was living with and we performed it to their parents. I know half of it in Catalan and some of it in Finnish!Sam: Aladdin! Come on, Aladdin! A Whole New World is on point, and there’s a magic carpet.

How do you think Disney’s more recent films compare to those released as you were growing up?

Kira: You always prefer films from your childhood because they’re nostalgic. The new ones are good but different and they’re not the classic “Disney” film, so if I wanted to watch Disney I’d go for one of the old ones.Sam: Frozen has changed the storyline from prince and princess to sisters. I also really like the current live-action films.

What would you say to anyone thinking about coming along to the society?

Kira: Everyone’s really friendly.Sam: Come. What’s better on a Thursday evening than going to mentor night and then coming to watch a film for free? You can just drop in as and when.

When and where do you meet?

Sam: Thursdays, 8:30, JCR lounge. Boom.

(Disney Soc on a social)

What else can Society members expect?Kira and Sam (in unison): Fancy dress socials!Kira: We organise trips to go and see any new Disney films that come out.Sam: We also have links with the Durham Indoor Market so they provide ice cream and let us sit in the café upstairs and watch Disney films. We also went to see the Cinderella panto at the Gala Theatre and Disney Soc filled the entire back row!

Finally, if you had to compare yourself to any Disney character then who would you choose and why?*sudden deathly silence while they think*Kira: Baymax, because I like hugs and making people feel better.Sam: What a question. Well let’s rule out all princesses because I’m definitely not a princess so I’m limited in my choice. I’m feeling Moulin because I like to think that I’m quite a strong, independent woman. Anything men can do I can do better

A huge thank you to Kira and Sam for their time and for selling Disney Soc so well! If, like me, you’re tempted to sign up then you can join the Facebook group here https://www.facebook.com/groups/112269872262473/?fref=ts or just drop in at Butler college on a Thursday evening!

I am currently in my final year of studying English Literature at Durham University, England. I am hoping to become a journalist in the future, but in the mean time, I enjoy cheerleading, fashion and travelling, and of course, being the editor of Durham's Her Campus!