8 European Cities to Visit This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

8. Budapest

Unbelievably cheap, full of culture and with some of the greatest nightlife in Europe, Budapest has something for everyone at any time of the year. The districts of Buda and Pest are rife with communist history, which you can learn about on one of the FREE walking tours that take place every day. A vibrant location, Budapest is world-famous for its “sparties”, some of the best nightlife in Europe where you literally spend the entire night dancing in the thermal baths of Szechenyi. Not up for sharing a warm pool with strangers? Never fear, for this bustling city is home to some of the most scenic drinking locations, known as the ruin bars. This city is great for travellers old and young, and for those on a budget or wanting a bit more luxury, not forgetting music fans who descend on the city for the world-renowned Sziget festival. Budapest is one not to be missed off your bucket list.

7. Dubrovnik

Arguably one of the most beautiful locations in Croatia, Dubrovnik overlooks the calm waters of the Adriatic Sea, giving it the edge over other Croatian cities such as Zagreb. Now a UNESCO World Heritage Site, this sublime location is one of Croatia’s most up-market destinations. Become charmed by the pedestrian-only old town, and marvel at the walls of the city and the marbled streets. One for the architects, Dubrovnik is home to buildings ranging from the baroque period into gothic style. This stunning old town is a definite contender for your summer holiday plans.

6. Dublin

It would be remiss to not include the capital of the Republic of Ireland on our travel list. Home to the beautiful Trinity College, Dublin is a picturesque city located off the mouth of the River Liffey. Whilst it might not reach the temperatures of cities further East in Europe, St Stephen’s Green boasts an idyllic location to sunbathe and relax in the Irish sunshine. Obviously, there is no better way to enjoy your travels than with a pint of Guinness, which I promise you tastes even better in Ireland than it does elsewhere.

5. Vienna

Vienna is often forgotten about as one of Europe’s most alluring cities, without even commenting on the glorious Eastern Europe weather it boasts during the summer months. Home to the Schloss Belvedere, you can enjoy an afternoon’s walk in the glorious setting of the fountains and gardens only minutes away from the main cobbled streets of the city. Vienna is favoured by those who love their history, philosophy, religion and architecture, and is the place to visit this year if you want a busy schedule of embracing both the culture and history of this glorious capital.

4. Barcelona

An enchanting seaside city, Barcelona is home to world-class wining and dining, fabled architecture and infinite culture. Whether you want to spend your days relaxing on the unspoiled beach strips or explore the beautiful sites of Park Guell, Barcelona caters to every taste. The Gothic Quarter is home to Gaudi’s masterpiece, the Sagrada Familia, which to this day remains unfinished. In the evenings, take a stroll down the pier, fill up on tapas and sangria, and , your holiday is guaranteed to be maravilloso.

3. Prague

Prague is undeniably a gem of Europe. Known for its loud nightlife, Prague boasts more than just its five-storey club and its pubs and bars (although it is home to the best AND cheapest beer in the world, just FYI). Prague suffered considerably less than its other European comrades during WWII, which allowed its historic architecture to remain intact. The Charles Bridge is home to endless artists, street vendors and statues which means it will take you twice as long just to cross it. Rich in religious and historic culture, you can wander from St. Vitus Cathedral to the Jewish Quarter in moderate time, of course stopping off in the middle at the world famous Astronomical Clock. Take a visit for yourself and enjoy everything Prague has to offer.

2. Berlin

The capital of Germany flaunts both breath-taking history and a glamorous, artsy scene, brilliant for travellers of all interests. This city is addictive, full of cultural landmarks such as the Berlin Wall, to gritty areas like Kreuzberg, offering relatively cheap beer in urban surroundings, allowing you to get a real feel for what city life and nightlife is like here. Take a free walking tour from the Brandenburg Gate, letting you visit all the main sites the city has on offer.  Berlin will not disappoint you, I promise.

1. Rome

Undoubtedly, Rome has to be top of the list for places to visit this Summer. In a stunning setting, Rome boasts cultural and religious history, with the Vatican City only a stone’s throw from Rome’s main palazzos. Bask in the Italian sunshine, take a stroll down each and every winding, cobbled street and feast on some of the greatest gelato the world has to offer. For travellers on a tighter budget, allow yourself to discover the suburban regions of the city for accommodation and get a real feel of Italian life away from the tourist attractions. But don’t forget, allow yourself to be taken in by all that Rome has to offer, both off and on the grid.