7 of the Best Things about British Cuisine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

Britain isn’t known for its cuisine. In fact, many would say it doesn’t even deserve the respectable title ‘cuisine’. I’m here to sort that out and show why our humble dishes are the best delicacies any nation could offer (even if they’re not always the most nutritious and do not promote a balanced diet).

1. Builder’s breakfast. Black pudding, fried everything- this is the start of a pretty unhealthy list, but we all know it tastes better when you fry it- the guilt helps to make it taste so good.

2. What we do with chips. Chips swimming in gravy, classic fish and chips, a chip butty- don’t fight the double carb life, my American housemate was dubious but has had her life changed since having tried one!

3. Sunday Roast. The roast potatoes, everyone having their own opinion on which meat is best, the gravy, the Yorkshires, the occasional pigs in blankets. There’s no better hearty meal than a Sunday roast to warm you up when it’s grey and to distract you from thinking about the week ahead. Not to mention…

4. The puddings. Crumble, Eton mess, jam roly-poly, Bakewell tart. Highlight of the week. Not forgetting its inelegant but nonetheless delicious companion, custard.

5. On a similar note, a sweet treat so essential to a Brit’s everyday life that we’ve designated it a specific time of day. Afternoon tea. Only a tower of dainty sandwiches and miniature puddings could make us this proud of snacking, and an opportunity for a cup of tea is welcome to any true patriot! (Disclaimer: you can still be British if you don’t like tea.)

6. The pastry. Some people think Danish pastries are where it’s at but Brits do it best. Steak and ale pie: meat and alcohol covered in pastry, sausage rolls: meat covered in pastry, pasties: literally whatever you want in pastry, my favourite: macaroni pie (mac and cheese with pastry). Can’t go wrong.

7. Cheese. Whilst it may be more closely associated with our neighbour France, Britain has got some great cheeses to showcase: the humble cheddar cheese, red Leicester, Cheshire cheese and Stilton to name but a few. The industry here is booming and the largest cheese show in the world takes place every July in Nantwich, Cheshire, so Britain is clearly the place to be when it comes to cheese.

2nd year Modern Languages student