element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Reasons To Love Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

As the evenings become darker and that harsh Durham wind picks up, sometimes it is difficult to find reasons to enjoy this cold, dark season. But hold up. There are so many reasons why Winter can be the best season of the year (not even mentioning the fact Christmas is just around the corner). On behalf of HerCampus, I want to invite you to embrace the love for this beautiful season!

1.) Wrapping Up Warm

Yes, it may be 2 degrees outside, and the wind may make your fingers feel like they no longer belong on your hand. But winter is all about layering. It’s the perfect excuse for your favourite knitwear to leave the wardrobe and make an appearance on the Bailey.

What does Her Campus Durham recommend? Personally, I love chunky knitted accessories; wrapping up for me is all about the big wrap-around scarf and the wonderfully snug bobble hat. Team this with your favourite pair of boots and you’ll look and feel ready to kick Winter’s ass.

2.) Hot Drinks

Winter is all about treating yourself. It’s cold outside, it’s cold inside, the heating in the house is broken and you’re wrapped up in a onesie, 4 blankets and a hot water bottle. Never fear, this is where the hot drink comes to the rescue. Grasping your hands round a toasty mug, inhaling the sweet scent of your favourite tipple and feeling the warm liquid go down your throat can literally warm your heart up, even if your fingers are still about to fall off.

What does Her Campus Durham recommend? Costa have recently released a Lindt Hot Chocolate, which we can guarantee will be silky smooth and warm you up from the inside out. And for something you can do at home? Instead of cold squash, try adding boiling water with a drop of honey to your cordial for something sweet but not heavy.

Also, mulled wine. No, you don’t need to justify it. Yes Christmas is still 5 weeks away. Who cares. Treat yo-self.

3.) Scenery

As the leaves fall off the trees and the walk to lectures becomes treacherous, it can be difficult to find something to appreciate about winter. Luckily, I’m here to remind you that as Durham students, we have some of the most beautiful buildings and scenery in the country. Even the Billy B has some kind of beauty about it when it’s covered in snow.

What does Her Campus Durham recommend? Instead of cursing the days for becoming shorter and darker, take time to appreciate the sunrise over the River Wear before your 9am. Take your housemates for a walk into the local countryside and appreciate all the views that Durham has to offer.

4.) Music

With Christmas just around the corner, it becomes more and more difficult to avoid the seasonal music. Instead of being a scrooge, embrace everything that winter has to offer, including the variety of festive tunes.

What does Her Campus Durham recommend? Winter is the perfect time for slow jazz and soothing folk tunes – if this is your cup of tea, Laura Marling always goes down a treat. If you’re feeling a little more festive, I think brass bands and carol singers encapsulate everything festive about Christmas; the jolly pop tunes and the slower Christmas carol. Enjoy the busking scene of Durham city centre or take yourself off to a festive concert: Durham University Brass Band have a Christmas Concert coming up on Wednesday 9th December, which is sure to get you in the festive spirit!

5.) Winter Bod

Say no more.

20 year old from London currently on her Year Abroad in Paris. Follow me on Instagram for photos of Paris and other interesting things. https://instagram.com/charliecronin/