timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Women Who Love to Be Single

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

Here at HerCampus we’re saying “NO” to the Valentine’s Day singleton blues. 

For many of us single women, the mention of “Valentines’ Day” leaves a bad taste in our mouth, one that we want to immediately overpower with sugar coated, double chocolate truffles, any kind of ice cream available and lots and lots of wine, but who’s telling you that you need a boyfriend for 14th February? You cope fine without one for every other day of the year so why do you need one for today specifically? 

If you’re feeling down about being single, I implore you to put down those heart shaped Thorntons, turn off the rom-com that’s probably making you want to cry rather than laugh, and read on….

Because whether you believe it or not…

YOU’RE BETTER THAN THAT and Valentine’s Day is for and foremost a celebration of love. Celebrate with yourself today because there’s nothing wrong with being single; it doesn’t mean nobody wants you or that you’re not good enough, it just means you haven’t met a guy who can handle you yet

BUT until that day, here’s a few women who love to be single and rock the hell out of it.  

1. JOY MANGANO (from the movie ‘Joy’)

Yes it’s a film, but it’s based on truth. Despite being treated appallingly by her family and enduring incredibly challenging personal difficulties, Joy rose up in the world, becoming an inventor and businesswoman. The film is such a brilliant success because this is its primary focus, her journey. There is no romance or love interest helping her along the way, she did it all on her own. 

2. DIANE KEATON

A leading lady who doesn’t need a leading man. She’s not only a highly acclaimed hollywood actress, but a photographer, writer and mother! Diane seems to be doing just fine, and she’s famously known for snubbing the need to pursue romance- that’s after she dated some of the Hollywood greats like Al Pacino and Woody Allen…clearly dating wasn’t all it’s cracked up to be for her, as she’s decided she’s happier being a singleton.

3.COCO CHANEL

Raised in an orphanage, Chanel used her circumstances to her advantage, learning how to sew from the nuns who brought her up and going on to create a ground-breaking fashion empire. She’s always famously known for never marrying. 

4.FLORENCE NIGHTINGALE

This legend of a nurse was just far too busy saving lives to be occupied with boy drama. She said, “The time is come when women must do something more than the ‘domestic hearth’”, so don’t aspire to be someone’s other half, aspire to be a whole, an individual. Be like Florence. 

5. MOTHER TERESA

Ok, yes she’s a nun and being single is kind of part of the job description BUT that doesn’t mean she’s any less deserving of a place on this list. She tended to the sick and dying, aided the poor and mothered the orphaned, becoming a globally recognised beacon of hope and love for all to look up to…without a man by her side might I add. 

6. JULIANNE POTTER (from the movie ‘My best friend’s wedding’)

So Julia Roberts ends this film by letting go the love of her life and we enter into the credits with no happily ever after for her in terms of men but she doesn’t half give us a killer smile next to Rupert Everett. 

6. JANE AUSTEN

Anyone who’s read any of Austen’s novels will know what a hopeless romantic she was, but Jane never did meet her Mr Darcy. Quite frankly she didn’t need him anyway. Austen built herself up to be quite a legend without a guy at her side. (Some man courting her would have probably been too much of a distraction anyway; less dating means more writing novels, which is great news for her fans). Thanks for staying single Jane. 

9. ELSA (from ‘Frozen’) 

No damsel in distress nonsense here. This disney princess is not even a princess, she’s technically a Queen and she is BAD ASS. And as far as I can remember, the lyrics are ‘Let it go, let it go, you’ll never see me cry’ not ‘I need a boyfriend for Valentines Day, or all I’m gonna do is cry’……you get my point right?

10.SAMANTHA JONES (from ‘Sex and the City’)

There are millions of single girls who will manage to grab a date for Valentine’s Day by settling, just because they don’t want to be alone for 14th Feb, but how many of that million have built a universal business empire or become globally recognised for their professions? 

So instead of wasting time wishing you were part of the majority, put on your single shoes and go make a difference doing what it is you do best. 

Happy Valentine’s Day. 

2nd year English lit student
I am currently in my final year of studying English Literature at Durham University, England. I am hoping to become a journalist in the future, but in the mean time, I enjoy cheerleading, fashion and travelling, and of course, being the editor of Durham's Her Campus!