Cherry Blossoms on the North Shore
Cherry Blossoms on the North Shore
Photo by Joshua Rodes

10 Places to Visit on Sunny Days in Pittsburgh!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duq U chapter.

Happy nice weather season! I am always so excited to see the turn of weather from winter to spring, and, even more exciting, from spring to summer. 

Being based in Pittsburgh, this city is not typically known for its shining sun. In fact, Pittsburgh is more known for its ability to hide the sun and, instead, offer cloudy days. However, with a touch of luck, there has been some beautiful weather lately, and it has been causing me to daydream about all the fun there is to have this summer.

So, I am compiling a list of fun things any college-student in the Pittsburgh area can enjoy!  

1. Market Square 

This lively area is right in the heart of Downtown! Market Square has plenty of fun activities to do—like grab food, enjoy outdoor seating, listen to live music, and much more. It’s about a seven-minute walk from Duquesne University too, making it the perfect place for entertainment for college kids.

2. Point State Park

If you walk about five minutes past Market Square, you will find yourself at this famous Pittsburgh landmark. When the fountain is officially turned on for the summer, this area becomes an even more beautiful place for sitting along the rivers of Pittsburgh and hanging out with friends.

3. North Shore

North Shore, which is just across the water from Point State Park, is another great spot for exploring Pittsburgh. It’s home to Heinz Field, PNC Park, the Andy Warhol MuseumRandyland, the National Aviary, and so much more. This dynamic part of the city can be reached via a free ride on the T, the city’s subway that runs under the river. 

4. Gateway Clipper Fleet

This boat tour offers a view of the city like no other! For an affordable price, you can enjoy a cool breeze on the water and see the city skyline, Point State Park, and North Shore. I did this tour with my friends last semester, and it truly was so fun!

5. Southside Trail

This expansive trail runs the entirety of Southside, making it the perfect location to go for a walk, run, bike ride, or even to dog-watch! Its picturesque views of the river and Downtown allow for nice picnic spots as well. 

6. Color Park 

On their Facebook page, you can see exactly how this park lives up to its name! Vibrant and funky, this little spot on the outskirts of Southside makes for the perfect photo opportunity with friends. 

7. Frick Park

Located near Squirrel Hill, Frick Park offers so many walking trails that can be a nice break from the hustle and bustle of the city. It’s also home to an increasingly-famous landmark known as Blue Slide Park. As the name suggests, this playground features a big, blue slide that was made famous by Pittsburgh rapper Mac Miller, because he named his debut studio album after it. 

Since his unfortunate passing, this spot is now in memoriam of him.

8. Schenley Park 

Like Frick Park, Schenley is another one of Pittsburgh’s major parks and is located right near the University of Pittsburgh’s campus. It is expansive, and offers a complete frisbee golf course, a running track, tennis courts, pickleball courts, plenty of picnic spots, and so much more. So, grab a couple friends and have an afternoon of fun!

9. Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens

Phipps is an absolutely beautiful place to get lost in what seems like another world that is full of flowers and beautiful colors. But the best part is that it is right in our backyard—also known as Schenley Park! 

Right now, the Spring Flower Show: Canopy of Color is running, and it features next level beauty that you have to see. But remember, the exhibits offered by Phipps rotate frequently, so be ready for a brand-new experience every time you go.   

10. Ohiopyle State Park

If you have access to a car, you need to take the hour-long trip down to Ohiopyle. This state park is truly so much fun since it offers activities like whitewater rafting, hiking, kayaking, biking, picnicking, and more! I took a trip down with my friends last summer, and we just hung out in bathing suits all day on some rocks in the forest that were near water and natural water slides. There’s not much more you could ask for on a summer day than that, in my opinion!

Well, I hope something on this list makes it onto your Pittsburgh summer bucket list! I know I myself have a few places I want to check off soon.

So, let’s keep our fingers crossed that the sun stays out here, and we college kids can have some well-deserved fun after the semester is over. After all, summer is all about those good times and tan lines, am I right? 

Catherine Lippert, who goes by Cat, is a junior at Duquesne University. Originally from Buffalo, she is in a five-year Physician Assistant program and set to graduate in 2023. Cat is a longtime fan of One Direction and Harry Styles, loves to hike, and takes great pleaure in going to concerts to see her favorite musicians! In spring of 2020, she had the fantastic opportunity to study abroad in Rome, Italy, which taught her a lot about herself and the different cultures around her. After she graduates, she plans to move somewhere warmer than Buffalo and start working in a hospital emergency room, as well as use her free time to travel and to advocate for reforms concerning climate change. Oh, and she plans to get a cat or two from her local rescue!
Hey I'm Lauren! I'm a PR & Advertising major at Duquesne University and I am one of the Founding Campus Coordinators! On campus, you'll most likely find me sprinting from place to place because I am rarely on-time for anything (oops!) Off-campus, you'll find me at any and every coffee shop in and around Pittsburgh!