Why You Should Start Watching Gilmore Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

I know that everyone is freaking out about midterms right now and I probably should be as well, but I can’t seem to focus because Gilmore Girls is officially on Netflix. I’m well aware that this is going to be bad for my GPA in so many ways. Once you start this show, you just cannot stop. The fact that Netflix only gives you 15 seconds to decide if you want to watch another episode will ruin you. If you’ve already seen the show then you know what I mean. Those of you who haven’t experienced the amazing banter, ridiculous storylines, and quirky characters of Gilmore Girls, you need to join the cult for the following reasons:

1. Everyone is talking about it

If you’ve been on Facebook recently you know exactly what I am talking about. It seems like all of my friends have posted about how excited they are to binge watch the show. I’m sure if you’ve never seen the show you may be feeling a little left out. You may not even get what all the fuss is about. Just watch and you’ll soon find yourself posting multiple Gilmore-related articles on your friends’ Facebook walls.

2. The copious amounts of food in every episode

All I want in this lifetime is the metabolism of a Gilmore. Seriously, with the amount that they eat, they should each be 500 pounds. Every episode features a new array of food ranging from the ever popular Pop-Tarts and tater tots to a deep-fried Thanksgiving turkey. I live vicariously through all the meals they eat and if you start watching, you will too.

3. Rory and Lorelai’s boyfriends

Debates can get heated about which of Rory’s boyfriends are the best. Personally I am a Jess fan (middle picture) and if you think otherwise, you are just wrong. All in all though, there are some really attractive guys on this show, but beyond that, there are really amazing examples of relationships. But you know, there is some serious eye candy on this show.

4. The adorable quirkiness throughout the show

There is nowhere else I would rather live than the fictitious town of Stars Hollow, Connecticut. It’s a small town filled with super random festivals like Bid-A-Basket, really beautiful New England scenery, and most importantly, lovable but weird characters, like Kirk, Babette, Ms. Patty, and Taylor to name just a few. The witty banter and pop culture references between Rory and Lorelai will usually go right over your head but when you understand one, it’s a small victory. They use expressions like, “oy with the poodles already!” and that’s why you’ll love this show.

5. The sass that is Paris Geller

She’s the main frienemy of the show. You will hate her and yet love her so much at the same time. She is so blunt, but she will perfectly describe her frustrations with people. Her friendship with Rory is one of the best teenage friendships on television.  

6.  Melissa McCarthy before her Bridesmaids fame

Seeing Melissa McCarthy as Sooki, Lorelai’s best friend, is so amazing. It is a very different role than anything else you will see her in, but Melissa McCarthy plays one of the most lovable characters on the entire show. She will make you want to be a chef, mother, and marry a man as ridiculous as Jackson.

7. The idyllic mother-daughter relationship

Throughout middle school and high school, I watched this show with my mom and I would so recommend it for every mother-daughter pair. Lorelai and Rory have stuck the perfect balance between friendship and a parent-child relationship. The way they finish each other’s sentences, effortlessly banter, and know exactly how to help each other in times of need will inspire you to call your mom more often.

No matter if you haven’t seen the show or will be re-watching it for the fifth time, I think you’ll agree it’s one of the best shows ever. Happy binge watching!