Where To Get Your Parents To Take You On Parents’ Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Perhaps the best part of parents’ weekend is the amazing food that comes along with it. It is going to be so nice to have a break from campus food and experience the amazing restaurants of Durham. As great as Cookout is, parents’ weekend is a great opportunity to find out why Durham has been called one of the “foodiest” towns in the country.

1.     Nana’s Restaurant

This place is so good. I went here during O-week and it was absolutely amazing. It is an upscale American restaurant with southern influence. It’s definitely not somewhere you would go with your friends, but it’s totally perfect to take your parents to. I would recommend the local heirloom tomato salad and the roast chicken.

2.     Local 22

This restaurant is pure comfort food. They have weekly specials that include variations on mac and cheese like cheddar and bacon (I’m drooling right now thinking about it). My favorite part about this restaurant is the emphasis on local food since the majority of their vendors come from area farms like the Chapel Hill Creamery. The décor is awesome as well- picture something straight out of Pinterest.

3.     Watt’s Grocery

This is without doubt my favorite restaurant in the area. When I toured Duke, I came to this restaurant with my dad. Not only are there great memories here, but the food is also excellent. This place features southern food like seafood gumbo and collards. The hushpuppies with basil mayo are absolutely amazing. It’s a great place for dinner, but the brunch is even better. Anything on the menu is good, but the huevos rancheros are especially tasty. Their brunch is on Saturday and Sunday from 11-2:30 and it’s to die for.