What’s The Buzz About Caffeine?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Nearing the end of our lengthy hours of studying never felt so draining. Just when we’re about to surrender to a much-needed deep slumber, our instinct kicks in. Nobody can resist it, the surrendering act of reaching for that last drop of coffee before desperately squeezing in any last ounce of studying. Unconsciously, we’re all thinking the same thing; our minds are all programmed to assume the following equation:

[More caffeine = more energy = more studying = better grades]

The harsh reality is that chugging yet another cup of Joe to pull yet another all-nighter during midterms may not be the best idea. When drunk in moderation, caffeine can actually provide you with that extra little spring in your step, but like the dooming fact that everyone constantly reminds us of, college doesn’t last forever and neither does that glorified caffeine-high. And while well aware of the fact that caffeine is an addictive drug, all of those conveniently scattered coffee shops around campus serve as our generous drug dealers. One day we hurriedly drop in for a non-fat iced latte to sip on during that transient class change, only to find ourselves in the bottom of our latte and fleeing to achieve the not-so-fashionably-late look. At night, we pay a visit to the buzzing café attached to the library that has reluctantly consumed us to order that necessary espresso-heavy latte to accompany our late-night studies. And before you know it, you befriend that cute barista, or baristas for that matter, and you excitedly grab a punch card, and you return time and time again to order latte after latte, with the hope of reaching that overly-anticipated finish line that is the well-deserved free drink you have worked so hard for. Finally achieving the satisfaction of being named the caffeine-goddess becomes the highlight of your enduring, yet straining, cram sessions.

That’s when you know you’ve hit rock bottom. The minute anxiety, sleep deprivation, nausea, depression, and other atypical conditions become apparent, caffeine has taken its full effect. Your once unyielding faith in caffeine has become all too deceiving. Too much caffeine can increase tolerance to the addicting drug and instantly reducing high caffeine consumption can result in serious withdrawal effects. I’m not saying stop with the caffeine altogether; just carefully reconsider that final gulp and just how much rocket fuel your body can realistically take before crashing altogether in a hyper-caffeinated coma.

Freshman at Duke University! Born and raised in Miami, Florida, I love coffee, working out, tennis/ any water-sports, and trying new and exciting things!